Any Suggestions Welcome

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pinksnoozer

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi there, I'm a first time guinea pig owner and I just want to make sure that I'm doing everything I can for my 2 little girls Bella(trix) and Ginny.

A friend of a friend bought the girls from gumtree when they were 4 weeks old, 3 weeks later she realised that guinea pigs take a lot of looking after and in her words "are far too messy and I'm not cleaning up all that s**t". She asked if I could take them in as she knows I've always had pets (we have a hamster, 2 degu's, an iguana, 2 leopard gekos and an 8 year girl at the mo haha) and if I wouldn't take them she was going to SET THEM FREE!

Of course I jumped in my car and drove the 40 mile round trip to get the girls. When I got them they were in a tiny pet shop bought cage which was 95x44cm, totally not big enough for the 2 piggies. Anyway I ordered them a 4x2 c&c cage with a 2x1 loft and it arrived on Friday, I've build it and set it all up, the girls have settled well and have been pop corning all over the place which is wonderful to see.

I've attached some pics of the cage set up and would be grateful if could tell me if I've got everything they need/what I could improve etc.

The cage is fleece lined with towels underneath (I'm in the process of making some thicker more absorbent cage liners), they each have a plastic igloo to hide and sleep in both have a nice comfy absorbent mat underneath, there's a cuddle cup, and fleece tunnel which they love to run through and hide in, 2 water bottles 1 downstairs and 1 in the loft each with an absorbent drip pad (I moved 1 after the pic was taken), 2 bowls of Burgess Excel pellets 1 up 1 down, a double bowl for their veggies in the loft, a medium carrot cottage which they hide in and nibble, a willow ball full of hay and willow sticks to nibble, a litter tray lined with newspaper then carefresh then hay cos they like to poop where they eat and a hay feeder in the loft.

Thanks in advance for any help and guidance xx11836806_10152909905541736_3729757907865527390_n.webp image2.webpView attachment 37220 View attachment 37221

image2.webp

Last edited:
:wel:

your set up looks excellent .

Where are you based ? We have members from all over the world and it useful to know whether you are based in the UK / US or elsewhere.

You clearly have done a lot of research already .

The only I can see is you could get some more cost effective bedding for your litter trays.

hearer is a link to a thread about bedding ...

Bedding For Guinea Pigs - Overview

I like to use Aubiose in my litter trays which I buy from a local equine supplier

Wow they have fallen on their very cute piggie feet! :wel:to the piggie family you will be hooked! X

Well done you for taking them on! Your set-up looks great and they obviously appreciate it. You will find the forum a real mine of information and lots of very friendly piggy people willing to respond to any questions too. :tu:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back