Any Outdoor Piggy Owners?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Todite88

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hello folks, new to the forum.. Don't have our piggies get in the process of getting everything together. From what I've read there doesn't seem to be many outdoor piggies owners on here. I will be housing mine outdoors and was wondering if anyone else is?

Mine are outdoor indoor, they live in their hutch which is built into a shed. It has lighting and heating to make them comfortable. ;)

I was mostly concerned about them in winter. I've just found a fantastic thread though with insulation tips etc so not so concerned now. How do you go about exceeding them in winter though? I'm in west Yorkshire can be as cold in the day as it is at night sometimes. Would it be ok to just bring them into an indoor run for a few hours or would the change in air and temperature have a negative effect? I think I'm just going to end up buying a shed lol. Not eben got these piggies yet and I've paid for and had some turf put in just for them.. Costing me a fortune ha

They don't like sudden changes in temperatures so, son't bring them indoors if you keep them outdoors.

You'll find that keeping them in a shed is better. . Mine are in a hutch in a shed . It's easier to keep them warm enough in winter and, I can spend time with them in all weathers !

Turning out to be quite costly with the new lawn I've just had put down next a shed lol. Oh well at least we'll have some happy piggies when we finally get some. I guess a shed means they can get decent exercise in winter months too. Can imagine my eldest being down the shed with her pigs loads in the winter hot water bottle and all .. Well it will be happening regardless of whether she wants to x

Mine are kept outside until winter comes then bring them inside the used with some heating however its okay for them to be outside as long as its not to cold or there in direct sun light !

Mine are in a plastic greenhouse (air hole in the top) which keeps them safe from draft and rain. When it starts to get cold I will insulate the hutch with foil bubble wrap and old duvets, with heat pads inside sleeping area. I'm going to also insulate the green house with bubble wrap, aswell has blocking any draft at the bottom of the greenhouse with brick on the plastic outside.

Mine are in a plastic greenhouse (air hole in the top) which keeps them safe from draft and rain. When it starts to get cold I will insulate the hutch with foil bubble wrap and old duvets, with heat pads inside sleeping area. I'm going to also insulate the green house with bubble wrap, aswell has blocking any draft at the bottom of the greenhouse with brick on the plastic outside.

Isn't a plastic greenhouse stupidly hot in warm weather? X

I'm an outdoor piggie owner. Only had them for two months so not yet got through a winter but we are buying a cover and a heat pad for the hutch and if it is really too cold we have an outhouse we can move them too. At the moment though they are enjoying keeping my lawn trimmed!

Hello folks, new to the forum.. Don't have our piggies get in the process of getting everything together. From what I've read there doesn't seem to be many outdoor piggies owners on here. I will be housing mine outdoors and was wondering if anyone else is?
Hi & welcome Todite88, if you are putting your piggies outside I would put heating in.

They're outside.. as it gets colder they'll be insulated well with heat pads.. was going to get them a shed and still plan to but until I have some more work done on the garden which will be next summer now I'm just going to have to insulate well.

Well I was thinking of a shed but it's room and getting garden sorted so unsure if this year now.
Mine are outdoors and in a hutch where I have build a wall at the back and sides to keep it draught free. It has cover now but will be using bubble wrap etc to insulate even more and hoping will be well.

We have only had ours for just over a month and they have been outside for a couple of weeks now. I'm planning on bringing them in for the winter as we don't have a shed or garage. I also couldn't bear the thought of them being outside in the winter :-(

I was mostly concerned about them in winter. I've just found a fantastic thread though with insulation tips etc so not so concerned now. How do you go about exceeding them in winter though? I'm in west Yorkshire can be as cold in the day as it is at night sometimes. Would it be ok to just bring them into an indoor run for a few hours or would the change in air and temperature have a negative effect? I think I'm just going to end up buying a shed lol. Not eben got these piggies yet and I've paid for and had some turf put in just for them.. Costing me a fortune ha
Could you advise the thread where you have found all the tips to insulate

We got our girlies a month ago with the best intentions of leaving them outside but hubby is obviously feeling sorry for them as he has already bought an indoor cage and is considering a shed as well - these rescue pigs are costing us a fortune. Wouldn't change it for the world though - I have been 2 years with out a squeaker and really missed having them around

Hi @Claire82 just trying to do the same with a plastic greenhouse ... do you have a pic you can post? Need a bit of help and tips in getting them cosy for the colder weather. .. was worried as it went to below 60deg last nite

Could you advise the thread where you have found all the tips to insulate

Sorry for very late reply.. there's a thread in housing I think....
Not entirely sure..
I did lots of reading somewhere.. there's all sorts of ideas you can use think I'll be purchasing the heat mats also for the bedding area x

Sorry for very late reply.. there's a thread in housing I think....
Not entirely sure..
I did lots of reading somewhere.. there's all sorts of ideas you can use think I'll be purchasing the heat mats also for the bedding area x
Just ordered my two a snuggle pad each. Hope they use them. It's knowing where to put them as they never seem to b in their beds... bur who knows in the 12 hrs of nitetime

Yeah I know what your saying. Captain is always in his bed space think I'm going to have to invest in a new hutch. I bought the guinea pig one from pets at home and it's just too small. Need to put another bed box in really so I know they've both got a good bedding space.. not sure if captain doesn't push popeye out of there sometimes you see. X where did u get your snuggles from? X

Yeah I know what your saying. Captain is always in his bed space think I'm going to have to invest in a new hutch. I bought the guinea pig one from pets at home and it's just too small. Need to put another bed box in really so I know they've both got a good bedding space.. not sure if captain doesn't push popeye out of there sometimes you see. X where did you get your snuggles from? X
I ordered mine on amazon... think 13.99 each with covers .... just built a plastic greenhouse and put it up over the outdoor hutch and low and behold warmest nite for ages!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back