• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

any one any ideas about dobbys foot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
been reading up on it and they all seem to say with time and griseofulvin it should heal up but his foot looks so painful was wondering iof anyone else had any ideas I've never had this problem before in over 30 plus years so its all new to me yet most books have it in there, they say it could be a fungal theres no pus in his foot just swollen and vey angry looking, isn't there a human foot cream that might well help, hes got vet check up on 13th, vet gave me more baytril and I'm giving him metcam for painrelief, has anyone ever used griseofulvin did ask vet for it but he said try baytril for a long period first, but i dont want my main man to be in pain its upsetting me as well, :'( would rather I had it then him, but i guess you all feel like that,( mind you forget impacted bum :o )

Right so what would be the human equivalent of bumblefoot?......

I'm thinking some thing like atheletes foot isn't that a fungal type problem? I'm clutching at straws here Bev as I am so worried about him. am just sending you a PM by the way ,

Just a suggestion but i heard that if you give them more a cushion affect in their cage it might help as he's not been so mobile.
Can you get some bubble wrap (the stuff with the little air bubbles in bulk wrapping, pm me if you don't understand sorry)
i believe if you put this under their hay upside down so the pee and poops don't sit in the gaps it gives a softer padding for their little feet.
I know you've tried everything else as far as meds etc... maybe this might help, can you separate him for just a few days onto paper or something?
Poor little love sending him lots of piggie kisses and heaps of cuddles from me :-* :-*

dobbys on thick towells and is in smallish run so he doesn't have far to go for food etc he has now got Rcihie in to keep him company which seems to have benefited him,dont think bubble wrap would be safe as they rip paper they might get polythene in their throats , he sits in his cuddle cup which is fluffy and soft changed 2 times a day if its wet so hes quite comfortable just feel he needs some cream rubbed on his feet for fungal, I might ask chemist for fungal foot cream and rub it in does anyone know if this is safe ?

Oh agree entirely, what i meant was under your top layer of whatever you use, it's to be the first layer on the bottom of the cage then you put everything else on top. Of course you'd have to throw it away after a few weeks it would be rather pongy ::)
Towels.... so is Duke to help him too as his paws look a little redish and i know he mostly sits all day.
LOL ripping paper still got attitude that's great ;)
I'd check with the chemist if it's ok for infants, they look at me really weird when i say it's for a gp ;D

For you Dobby :-* :-* :-* :-*

Yes athletes foot is fungal... think I need to go get some info on bumblefoot....

If he were my guinea pig, I'd be calling the CCT for advice as i believe that they are the people best equipped to guide us generally on these tricky conditions. A good guinea pig vet would be willing to listen to what you find out.

As I've said, I've never personally had to deal with this condition, but do know it has been linked to fungal conditions, poor housing conditions and lack of hygiene, though I am not suggesting the latter 2 apply here. Less active guineas and apparently those with heart conditions and poor circulation are also possibly more prone.

Have you read the following info? It's very interesting and may provide some help and relief for Dobby, poor boy.
Personally I would not apply anti fungal cream to his feet, it would likely be a waste of time anyway as if he is carrying a fungal infection, it will obviously be n his entire skin. He'd need bathing too, or he'd just reinfect his bedding.

Pododermatitis Link

Barbara

have already got cct phone number ready to call the only nthing that could acocont for dobbys problem is he is a lazy sod not over weight loved to bits on soft hay and paper never in dirty wet bedding ugh no way, and have soaked and bandaged the foot will be doing another soak later, vet said baytril needs a whole to work which I note is what said in the link, I just cannot bear my babe to be in pain

just done another soak in hibiscrub and bathed him in GG he is now next to the radiator in box chewing grass, am going to phone Vedra now as to next step if there is any

I dont know if this will be any use whatsoever ::)

I dont have any experience whatsoever with bumblefoot in Guineas, but do know where there is some excellent advice for bumblefoot in chinchillas. I assume the same medication could be used, as i am assuming it would be the same condition in both. (If not i apologise now!)

This site belongs to one of the mods on our chinchilla forum and she is very experienced with bumblefoot in chinchillas, she has a couple of case studies and explains how she tackled them and what she used.

I am not saying do this on the guinea, but it might give you a little more to read and think of.

Link to Bumblefoot

If you read Bumbles and Kieras stories it tells you more here.

If the condition is not the same in both animals, then feel free to beat me severely round the head. ;)

Samjam said:
If the condition is not the same in both animals, then feel free to beat me severely round the head. ;)

666) 2funny

I'm sure it will be a great help :)

just read both stories and they are similar but have just spoken to Vedra and she has advised me to get him some Rimydyl which my dog has for pain relief and its an anti inflamatory, wash foot in Alcaholic hand wash gel then smooth on Bepanthen babys nappy cream as its also anti bacterial, she was saying she has some books out soon and would like vets to buy it so my vet is going to be getting one if I ahev my way and I will certainly be buying copys, I'm also joining the CCT as I see it the best way forward to encourage my vets to go forward and although I wont be able to visit cambridge I can always phone for advise with out feeling guilty, as i know she is a busy woman,
I said its the first time this has happened and discribed the set up the only thing i can say can have casued it is he is lazy and maybe cut his foot and sat on his urine too long so it was simialr to urine scolds, anyway off to chemist thank goodness I stopped bandaging as she said not to

I will be continuing with the Baytril, despite Vedra saying its no use I'm covering all bases really , and could'nt get the nappy cream in sandown so am going into town (Newport) tomorrow and go to the big Boots,
Stuart my son who is pig sitting in march for 2 weeks saw Dobbs today and said he can't wait to look after him , I think it was because dobbs decieded to run up to him, yes he was in the living room with me chasing around and chilling yet again spoilt or what?
Stuart picked him up and he snuggled into Stuarts arms well Stuarts been well and truly hooked, lol no need to worry about dobbs now ;D ;D

I really hope Vedra's advice works and that Dobby's foot is soon feeling much better. I also think you're right to continue with the Baytril for now too.

It sounds as though Dobby is enjoying all the attention he is getting! :D xx

I've got no experience in this condition so can't offer any tips. However, he's a lucky boy to have such a loving mum!

Lots of love to Dobby and his sore wee foot.

just done his foot with handwash and the cream ( it cost me £5.99) but hes worth every penny, he actually enjoyed me rubbing his sore foot so hopefully the AB and Rimydil is working, doesn't look so red and angry today, plus he was a lot livelier with Richie both of them hiding under the towels and jumping out again fingers crossed its working sent off my £25 for the CCT yesterday with a piccy of dobby and a thnakyou for her advice,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back