Any ideas?

• Thread starter Thread starter Suzanne
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Suzanne

I am going to build an indoor hutch but at the moment i have two guinea pigs in an indoor cage.
I would like to make the best hutch and one that would cover all their needs
So any ideas would be most welcome :)

Hi whats wrong with their cage ? Hutches are darker remember and cages bring in more light and if they are indoors why not buy a bigger cage O0

Oh the cage i have is big :)
But if i can give them a bigger better home would be cool :)

Oh right but hutches are quite dark so going from a cage to a hutch isnt better imo
what about a c&c cage - They are spacious, lighter than normal cages, can have numerous levels and affordable too O0

I agree with ILA, going from a cage to a hutch.....mmmm well I wouldnt for indoors. I have 6 piggies in c & c`s and 2 in a hutch but I am getting rid of the hutch as it is dark and has less floor space therefore it need cleaning out much more often :)

Suzanne said:
I can't use c&c as i have two dogs
Well in that case a spacious cage is all you can have or a hutch so if you are planning on getting a hutch then they already have the bedding area separated so theres no need for an igloo or anything and with a cage they sometimes come with one attached but to make all their needs there is only love and the general care they really need O0

Oh sorry hubby building one!
So is it better for them to be indoors or out?
Some places say in others say guinea pigs are okay outside? :-\

Suzanne said:
Oh sorry hubby building one!
So is it better for them to be indoors or out?
Some places say in others say guinea pigs are okay outside? :-\
Well if they are already indoors then id keep them indoors as they have got used to that area and putting them outdoors would be scary for them straight away O0 If theres no reason as to why they cant stay indoors then id keep them in :D

I love having mine indoors, especially on these cold nights :) If hubby is building a hutch then they need at least 4 x 2 foot of floor space but the more you can have, the better!

Could you not have a perspex lid on the hutch? My old piggies were in a hutch and my dad prised the top off and made a lid that fitted over so it was easier to get them out. Going on that idea, would it be possible to have a similar thing with a clear plastic lid so that they would get more light? :-\

I just love the set up Peter gurney used to have. If you go on his website there is a picture of it in the gallery. It has a wooden frame and what looks like a perspex front but open at the top, so like a pen. He had loads of guineas so his was really long but maybe you could get some ideas from that? I will try to find it again and post the link if you like?

lavenderjade said:
I just love the set up Peter gurney used to have. If you go on his website there is a picture of it in the gallery. It has a wooden frame and what looks like a perspex front but open at the top, so like a pen. He had loads of guineas so his was really long but maybe you could get some ideas from that? I will try to find it again and post the link if you like?
Oh id like to see that too ;D ;D ;D O0

Oh wow ive just typed it in google before you put the link up and the night ones are fab :o :o :o

Arent they? When we move next year, I am going to have something very much like that O0

lavenderjade said:
Arent they? When we move next year, I am going to have something very much like that O0
me too when i move out ;D ;D

As you have dogs Suzanne, your hubby could make a lid/top of some sort for it O0

I have 1 hutch and loads of cages, all my guinea pigs hate the hutch, all my piggies live insidecages in my bedroom, as I have a cat.
I put them in the hutch while cleaning out their cages, it is dark even though I have drilled extra hole in the top and sides to let more light in, it is still dark. It was a total waste of money.

HonkeysMummy said:
I have 1 hutch and loads of cages, all my guinea pigs hate the hutch, all my piggies live insidecages in my bedroom, as I have a cat.
I put them in the hutch while cleaning out their cages, it is dark even though I have drilled extra hole in the top and sides to let more light in, it is still dark. It was a total waste of money.
True i have built in hutches and have a light in my shed but in the corners it is still dark ?

There must be some way of modifying a hutch to make it indoor useable. I would love a wooden low sided open topped style cage...If I had dogs I'd probably add a mesh top

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back