• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Any hope? Lower jaw tooth root issue

TwinkleJingle

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi,
I have a guinea pig that turned three yesterday. One month ago today, we noticed that she had stopped eating. We took her to the emergency vet, have completed front and back tooth trimming under anesthesia, three weeks of antibiotics, and pain medication. We noted that she developed a mass on her right lower jaw that looks like overgrown tooth roots well into the jaw and causing a growth. Despite treatment, we are still syringe feeding and plan for euthanasia tomorrow. Not sure a retrograde extraction would even fix this with the bone abnormality. Any dental experts have any thoughts? We are hoping for a miracle.

My rabbit has this. Overgrowth of the roots of her teeth caused an abscess in her lower jaw, based around the root of one of her teeht.
A four week course of penicillin injections cleared it up and she is now back to normal with no need for surgery - however I believe penicillin is a big no no for piggies!
Has the vet tried an antibiotic such as azithromycin? It appears to work well for dental abscesses in rodents and is the best choice for penetrating the abscess I species where penicillin cannot be used.

What has been tried here in terms of removing the infection? Guinea pigs form very thick pus and antibiotics alone are usually not enough to clear an infection. Usually the abscess has to be lanced and drained and left open to continue draining, plus a course of a strong antibiotic (pigs can't have some antibiotics, like penicillin, but I've had pigs have abscesses treated with chloramphenicol and azithromycin.) I would try this before euthanizing, as it can be successful and it's worth a shot. It's still a serious problem and can be touch and go (I've had two pigs develop tooth root issues- one didn't make it, although I suspect the vet wasn't up-to-date in how he was treating her and I was too naive to know at the time. But the other one made a full recovery and went on to live to old age despite the abscess flaring up around age 3.5) But it's worth a shot.

Back