Any advice please

Paul milgate

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi my daughter wants a couple of Guinea pigs and we have never kept them or any other hutches animals. Can they be outside or the hutch in a garage or outbuilding? What cover is good for the hutch? All advice welcomed.

New and Wannabe Guinea Pig Owners Corner

If you follow the link above you will find a list of essential information, there’s about 19 or 20 different topics covering most things. I suggest you start there with a large cup of tea and packet of biscuits…. Once you have worked through that lot (the green ones) then make a start on the behaviour section, housing, nutrition….

New and Wannabe Guinea Pig Owners Corner

If you follow the link above you will find a list of essential information, there’s about 19 or 20 different topics covering most things. I suggest you start there with a large cup of tea and packet of biscuits…. Once you have worked through that lot (the green ones) then make a start on the behaviour section, housing, nutrition….
Great thank you. Yes I have told her we will research thoroughly to give them as good life as possible. No rushing into it.

Welcome to the forum. It’s great you are researching first. They make wonderful pets. I have two boys who live in a hutch in my garage. How old is your daughter? You have to know that you will definitely end up “helping” with their care at some point. As long as you are ok with that then go for it. Also start a vet fund. They are not as cheap as some people will lead you to believe.

I would say if you have room in your house for them then that’s best. Children can lose interest very quickly so having them easily accessible is a plus. But if you can’t keep them inside then if you have a garage then that’s brilliant too as your daughter will be dry when interacting with them and cleaning them out. It’s no fun doing it outside in the cold and rain. Also a garage keeps them cool in the summer. So it’s a win win.

We got our guinea pigs for my daughter when she was 10.
Honestly it was one of the absolute best decisions we ever made, and they have become a huge part of our lives.

I guess my top tips would be:
- Their enthusiasm and interest will vary. The schedule of a 10 year old is very different to the schedule of a 16 year old.
- Ultimately you will be the responsible one, and do a lot of the basic care, pay vet bills etc.
- Think about holiday care - it isn't always easy to find someone to look after your piggies, and if you travel as a family this is something you will have to sort out.
- Keeping the cage somewhere accessible and comfortable is an absolute must when kids are involved - no kid is going to choose to spend time with their pets if it involves putting on a huge jacket and trudging to the bottom of the garden by themselves in freezing cold weather. Having them in the house (or at least a sheltered location) means they will spend a lot more time with them.
- Your child needs to understand that not all guinea pigs like to be handled and cuddled. They are living creatures not soft toys - they might cuddle, but they might only ever want to take food and treats from their hands, and they need to be ok with that.
- They look small, but have huge and very individual personalities - prepare to become very attached very quickly.

I think if you are happy to accept that these will technically be your pets, then guinea pigs are a fantastic addition and perfect for children with appropriate adult supervision. I do not regret our decision for a single minute, and both of my kids are better people for having had responsibility and the love of these small, sweet creatures.

My boys live in a hutch in my shed. It’s a godsend in winter as obviously they are protected from the elements but it still takes a lot of work to keep them warm enough - thermal hutch covers , blankets and twice a day heating of the heatpads.
In summer you have to be careful as a hutch and shed can become dangerously hot. A garage may remain cooler

Good on you for doing your research first and getting off to the best start possible! We got our first pair of pigs when my kids were between 6 and 2 years old (which is crazy, as two of those kids are now in university!) and honestly, they have been great family pets. I can't imagine not having piggies at this point. I love them as much as the kids did and do.

Welcome to the forum. It’s great you are researching first. They make wonderful pets. I have two boys who live in a hutch in my garage. How old is your daughter? You have to know that you will definitely end up “helping” with their care at some point. As long as you are ok with that then go for it. Also start a vet fund. They are not as cheap as some people will lead you to believe.

I would say if you have room in your house for them then that’s best. Children can lose interest very quickly so having them easily accessible is a plus. But if you can’t keep them inside then if you have a garage then that’s brilliant too as your daughter will be dry when interacting with them and cleaning them out. It’s no fun doing it outside in the cold and rain. Also a garage keeps them cool in the summer. So it’s a win win.
Thanks. We have two long haired Peruvian’s currently settling in. Seems to be going well at the moment.

Good on you for doing your research first and getting off to the best start possible! We got our first pair of pigs when my kids were between 6 and 2 years old (which is crazy, as two of those kids are now in university!) and honestly, they have been great family pets. I can't imagine not having piggies at this point. I love them as much as the kids did and do.
Thanks. Yes we took the plunge and have them now. Bought from a lady who was obviously very knowledgable and made sure we were serious and had the right environment.

My boys live in a hutch in my shed. It’s a godsend in winter as obviously they are protected from the elements but it still takes a lot of work to keep them warm enough - thermal hutch covers , blankets and twice a day heating of the heatpads.
In summer you have to be careful as a hutch and shed can become dangerously hot. A garage may remain cooler
Thanks. What do you do with blankets if they have a thermal cover? My worry is that in winter the hutch is 6feet long and even under a cover their little body heat won’t be enough to keep the area warm. Do they use heat pads.

We got our guinea pigs for my daughter when she was 10.
Honestly it was one of the absolute best decisions we ever made, and they have become a huge part of our lives.

I guess my top tips would be:
- Their enthusiasm and interest will vary. The schedule of a 10 year old is very different to the schedule of a 16 year old.
- Ultimately you will be the responsible one, and do a lot of the basic care, pay vet bills etc.
- Think about holiday care - it isn't always easy to find someone to look after your piggies, and if you travel as a family this is something you will have to sort out.
- Keeping the cage somewhere accessible and comfortable is an absolute must when kids are involved - no kid is going to choose to spend time with their pets if it involves putting on a huge jacket and trudging to the bottom of the garden by themselves in freezing cold weather. Having them in the house (or at least a sheltered location) means they will spend a lot more time with them.
- Your child needs to understand that not all guinea pigs like to be handled and cuddled. They are living creatures not soft toys - they might cuddle, but they might only ever want to take food and treats from their hands, and they need to be ok with that.
- They look small, but have huge and very individual personalities - prepare to become very attached very quickly.

I think if you are happy to accept that these will technically be your pets, then guinea pigs are a fantastic addition and perfect for children with appropriate adult supervision. I do not regret our decision for a single minute, and both of my kids are better people for having had responsibility and the love of these small, sweet creatures.
Thanks. Good tips.

Thanks. What do you do with blankets if they have a thermal cover? My worry is that in winter the hutch is 6feet long and even under a cover their little body heat won’t be enough to keep the area warm. Do they use heat pads.

I put the thermal cover on, then blankets, then a normal waterproof hutch cover (although being in the shed it’s not used for it’s it’s waterproof properties!).
It’s then stuffed with hay, and heat pads put under their hides. I have four heat pads between my two piggies. My hutch is also 6ft

Welcome to the forum.
Doing the research first suggests your 2 piggies are going to have a great life with you.
When they’re settled we would love pictures

Back