Ants

Zorro1

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Because it's a little rainy at the moment, there are a lot more ants coming into the house. And no matter how much I clean and try to keep the guinea pig cage (which is on the floor) free of ants, there is still a fair few in there. I was just wondering, is this a problem? With ants hanging around his bed and through his cage, is it still fine?

Can you pick up some ant traps at the hardware store? They will take the poison back to the nest and kill the colony.

I have these ant traps.

Amazon.co.uk

I have also heard that if you get some bicarbonate of soda and you put a barrier of it where you don't want them to be, they won't cross it but I haven't tried it.

I had ants when some jojoba oil spilled in my bathroom.

It's important if you see ants around the trap to not kill them because they are in the process of bringing the poison back to the nest. It's tempting but you have to give them the chance to bring it back.

So maybe put it in the same room as your pigs but not next to the cage.

Thanks for your helpful replies, unfortunately these ideas probably won't work to get rid of the ants - in my case. I could try to poison the ants but the house is not well sealed so more colonies could just come in. I also can't try baking soda around the cage because the cage us up against a wall. - the ants could just climb up the wall.

Are ants harmful to guinea pigs? It is a bit tricky to get rid of them in my case, so I would rather not try unless I should get rid of them.

Back