ants and guineapigs - are they dangerous?

piggiemummy03x

Forum Donator 2023/24
Reaction score
hi all! so obviously keeping my piggies outside they are likely to come across a fair few bugs and creepy crawlys! the main being, in my opinion, ants🐜 my question is, are they dangerous or can they cause harm to piggies? if they aren’t that’s brilliant and if i see one ill just get it out the hutch, but if they can cause problems then i need some more drastic measures! we would never use ant killer and have previously used cinnamon to keep them out of the house when they got in lol! so wondering if natural repellents will be okay to use around my girls (have seen things like vinegar etc)
thanks!

My garden has lots of ants in summer, in fact we have many nests everywhere in our lawn. The piggies spend around 8 hours a day in summer out in their runs and have never been bothered by them at all, they seem to prefer humans 😩

that’s brilliant! its just i’ve found one on two in their cage and was worried that they may be dangerous in some way! like you say they don’t seem bothered lol

I have to spray them lol (away from my babies) but also I make sure that the piggies are poop cleaned everyday , washed and disinfected, to prevent flies getting attracted

I have to spray them lol (away from my babies) but also I make sure that the piggies are poop cleaned everyday , washed and disinfected, to prevent flies getting attracted

yes i don’t blame you! i’m going to have to get some spray! anything you recommend? are your piggies outdoor?

It’s only the bottle type flies which cause flystrike. Others are just annoying
Making sure you check their bottoms frequently (at least once a day) during summer and ensuring the hutch is kept clean and dry, and poop picked multiple times a day in summer
You don’t need to use fly sprays for outdoor piggies. There are a few preventative type sprays on the market but they aren’t recommended.

Hot Weather Management, Heat Strokes and Fly Strike
Fly Strike

yes i don’t blame you! i’m going to have to get some spray! anything you recommend? are your piggies outdoor?
No mine are in my living room lol 5 girls 4 boys, spray for flies or spray for cleaning? At the moment the UK isn’t that hot, only seen the odd fly but had wasps and beefy bees , queens I think 🤔

Back