• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Antibiotics & Probiotics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Niki

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Wilbur's been to the vets again today - his UTI is back & he's passing blood again.  He's on baytril 0.2ml twice daily. Previously i've given probiotics along side antibiotics but my vet said to give him probiotic AFTER he'd finished the antibiotic as the antibiotic kills off the probiotic (i think that's the right way round). 
It does make sense in my head that if a probiotic puts back good bacteria & antibiotics kill off bacteria; good & bad then all the good the probiotic is doing is being undone to some extent by the antibiotic. Unless of course antibiotics only "attack" bad bacteria  :-\

Has anyone else been told this? 

Yeah it does. Antibiotics job is to kill of harmful bacteria that is making the subject ill, however, antibiotics can't tell the difference between good and bad bacteria so just kills both. Does that make sense? I think and hope it does. :)

Cavy Crazy said:
Yeah it does. Antibiotics job is to kill of harmful bacteria that is making the subject ill, however, antibiotics can't tell the difference between good and bad bacteria so just kills both. Does that make sense? I think and hope it does. :)

It sure does O0

Oh no Wilbur you poor little man :( :(
Sending you these to help you in a quick recovery back to your normal beautiful self :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back