Another piggy

Patunia the guinea pig

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I didn't know what category to post this in so I just posted it here.
I am looking to get another female guinea pig, I already have the cage and everything figured out, I just don't know how my guinea pig that I have now will react.
She's very sweet and never bites, I don't know do you think she'll be okay as long as I slowly introduce her to the new guinea pig?

I will be getting a baby one too

I didn't know what category to post this in so I just posted it here.
I am looking to get another female guinea pig, I already have the cage and everything figured out, I just don't know how my guinea pig that I have now will react.
She's very sweet and never bites, I don't know do you think she'll be okay as long as I slowly introduce her to the new guinea pig?

I will be getting a baby one too
You will find the forum bonding guides helpful so have a good read through.
They help with what works best, how to bond and all the useful things you need to know.
In the end it comes down to character compatibility.

I know that rescues in the US are few and far between but if you do happen to have one accessible you may want to consider a rescue and possibly piggy dating.

Any bond comes down to character compatibility - the two piggies have to like each other.
Babies are mostly accepted by older piggies so hopefully it should go well.

You cannot introduce slowly, particularly with a baby.
Bonding is a one time event seen through to conclusion on one day. You cannot introduce then separate, then introduce again as they will not bond that way.

You need to bring the baby piggy home and put both piggies in a neutral territory bonding pen and leave them for several hours to start to form their bond. If all is well after several hours then you clean down the cage they are to live in and move them to to continue bonding. This will take around two weeks for them to fully form their relationship.

The guide below explains

Bonding and Interaction: Illustrated social behaviours and bonding dynamics

Any bond comes down to character compatibility - the two piggies have to like each other.

Bonding is a one time event seen through to conclusion on one day. You cannot introduce then separate, then introduce again as they will not bond that way.

You need to bring the baby piggy home and put both piggies in a neutral territory bonding pen and leave them for several hours to start to form their bond. If all is well after several hours then you clean down the cage they are to live in and move them to to continue bonding. This will take around two weeks for them to fully form their relationship.

The guide below explains

Ok

The guide below explains

So neutral territory is where they both haven't been before, okay soo like a room does it have to be open or can it be like a kitchen or something?

It just has to be a safe space where neither have been. Block off any areas they shouldn’t be going into. Only a pile of hay and veggies at the appropriate time. Good luck 😊

Back