Another piggy

Patunia the guinea pig

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi, I'm looking into getting another guinea pig and I have this cage that I bought a while ago, is this big enough for 2 female guinea pigs?

It's 2 feet wide and like 4 and 1/2 feet long but the upper floor adds some space
512WlnZHmAL._AC_.webp

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the forum

First, the upper level does not add floor space. Upper levels cannot be counted towards the floor space because piggies are ground roaming creatures and prefer their living space to be on a single level. Therefore the bottom living needs to meet size requirements

The minimum welfare size for two female piggies is 2ft x 4ft (120x60cm).

However I have found a hutch similar to this online and the measurements are not 2ft x 4ft (120x60cm).
The one I have found is only 100x60cm and therefore does not come even close to minimum welfare size so would be entirely unsuitable for any guinea pigs, certainly not big enough two piggies.

Therefore do get out a tape measure and double check the measurements in cm to ensure it is 120x60cm on the bottom level. If it is 120x60cm or larger then it is fine for two sows

Where are the guinea pigs to stay? Indoors or outdoors? If outdoors I would say that this type of hutch is too open and exposed for them so you want one that is wooden around 3 sides to protect them from the elements. I'm not sure on hutches available in the US but here we have Chartwell hutches which are good value for money and come in good sizes

Welcome to the forum

First, the upper level does not add floor space. Upper levels cannot be counted towards the floor space because piggies are ground roaming creatures and prefer their living space to be on a single level. Therefore the bottom living needs to meet size requirements

The minimum welfare size for two female piggies is 2ft x 4ft (120x60cm).

However I have found a hutch similar to this online and the measurements are not 2ft x 4ft (120x60cm).
The one I have found is only 100x60cm and therefore does not come even close to minimum welfare size so would be entirely unsuitable for any guinea pigs, certainly not big enough two piggies.

Therefore do get out a tape measure and double check the measurements in cm to ensure it is 120x60cm on the bottom level. If it is 120x60cm or larger then it is fine for two sows
I measured mine it's 2 feet wide and a little more than 4 and 1/2 feet.
The guinea pig cage I am currently using has a small upper floor that she likes to go in.

I measured mine it's 2 feet wide and a little more than 4 and 1/2 feet.
The guinea pig cage I am currently using has a small upper floor that she likes to go in.

That’s fine then as the measurements meet minimum for two piggies. It’s also fine if she likes to use an upper level, it’s just that it doesn’t count towards the cage space.

Where are the guinea pigs to stay? Indoors or outdoors? If outdoors I would say that this type of hutch is too open and exposed for them so you want one that is wooden around 3 sides to protect them from the elements. I'm not sure on hutches available in the US but here we have Chartwell hutches which are good value for money and come in good sizes
They will be indoors

Back