Another guinea traveling question

Piff12

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I am having to move. It's only about a 6 hour drive, but I'm concerned. I have 2 male guineas. They have a big 6 foot cage and get along. But when stressed, one picks on the other. I'm wondering if I should try to have them travel in one carrier or.if this will lead to fear "fighting." If I transport in 2 carriers will this lead to fighting when reunited? I'm kind of at a quandary on the best way to do this. Any advice for those who have traveled with temperamental guineas is appreciated.

If they are a bit iffy together in a small space I would make sure you have a spare carrier ready in case you have to stop and separate them or put them in separate carriers to start with. In this case position the carriers so they can see each other. I use a large cat carrier for my dodgy pair and have found they are actually better with each other under duress! 6 hours is a long time though, the longest my two have travelled is an hour.

With my first pair of boars I always travelled with them together, for longer journeys we used a cat carrier that opens at the sides, when one of them passed and we got a new boar they did not get in well in the carrier as one likes to sit still and other other the opposite, so I always travel with them in two carriers now, I pop them facing each other so they know each other are there but I don’t trust them in one!

Back