Annoying guinea pig

Bean_piggies

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I have these two pigs that are together and recently one of them has been chasing the other around the cage, circling her, stopping her from eating/drinking and chasing her around it's clear my other guinea pig is pretty much annoyed and over her by now because she also runs off and tries to fight her off by pushing the other guinea pig away to get some space and is always constantly hiding unless she wants to eat or drink or if I go up to the cage to pick her up for floor time I don't know what to do and I'm so grateful my other guinea pig has been so patient and calm with the annoying guinea bothering her the other guinea pig doesn't stop unless I interfere and I know that my patient guinea pig is not gonna stay patient for long and I know she is going to end up snapping and losing her patience and it's going to result into a big fight so what should I do?

If you are seeing clear signs of bullying and a dysfunctional bond - and you do need to be certain it is bullying and not just normal dominance - then sadly separation is the only option. If you try a temporary separation then that gives the piggies the chance to make up their own minds about their relationship. The deciding factor is the submissive piggy - if the submissive piggy (the one who is being bullied) perks up and is happier to be away, then their bond is likely breaking down and making them separation permanent is sadly likely going to be the next step. The bully is likely going to be upset and will appear to want to be back with the other piggy, but it is not this piggy’s reaction you need to go by.
You can try a neutral territory reintroduction after a few days separated to allow them to make their decision, but in the case of a failing relationship, then the reintroduction will also fail

The guide below gives further information on spotting a dysfunctional and potentially failing relationship

Bonds In Trouble

If you are seeing clear signs of bullying and a dysfunctional bond - and you do need to be certain it is bullying and not just normal dominance - then sadly separation is the only option. If you try a temporary separation then that gives the piggies the chance to make up their own minds about their relationship. The deciding factor is the submissive piggy - if the submissive piggy (the one who is being bullied) perks up and is happier to be away, then their bond is likely breaking down and making them separation permanent is sadly likely going to be the next step. The bully is likely going to be upset and will appear to want to be back with the other piggy, but it is not this piggy’s reaction you need to go by.
You can try a neutral territory reintroduction after a few days separated to allow them to make their decision, but in the case of a failing relationship, then the reintroduction will also fail

The guide below gives further information on spotting a dysfunctional and potentially failing relationship

Bonds In Trouble

I think my bully guinea pig is definitely bullying my other guinea pig I sometimes do floortime with my patient guinea pig alone without my bully guinea and she usually seems to be more happier and energetic and sometimes refuses to go back in her cage when floortime is over so I'll definitely have to keep a close eye on them and I'll definitely check out the guide

Bonds In Trouble

I think my bully guinea pig is definitely bullying my other guinea pig I sometimes do floortime with my patient guinea pig alone without my bully guinea and she usually seems to be more happier and energetic and sometimes refuses to go back in her cage when floortime is over so I'll definitely have to keep a close eye on them and I'll definitely check out the guide

Please consider splitting the cage and keeping them as next door neighbours.

Back