• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Angus...

• Thread starter Thread starter baby-wilson
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

baby-wilson

Has tiny scab looking things on his skin and theyre itchy :-\

I will TRY to get a pic... but theyre so small :(

any suggestions what they could be?
Ive seen 2... one in each of his spirals so far....

Lice maybe? Jack always has little flaky bits in his rosettes but he has dry skin. He has had little tiny scab like bits and it was mites. So have a good root round in his fur, see if you can see anything attached to the hair shaft or moving on his skin if not then I would probably treat for mites

:) thanks... i got some pics... not very good ones but hey ;D

000_0861.jpg

towards the top... there i a lightish circle... thats the scab...:D

His skin is very flakey... and in one of his rosettes I can see tiny blact dots but they dont seem to be moving... if its mites/lice does this mean the rest have it too :(

Hmm can't really see anything from the pic, its a bit blurry. If he's been running around with other piggies then yup everyone else will most likely have it as well.

:-\ ll check them :)

would it be lice or mites it theyre tiny and black?

Well, I've only had experience with static lice which look like little brown specks stuck to the hair shaft. Are the black bits scabs? Mites are microscopic so you won't be able to see them. If it's mites the skin might look a bit pinker than normal or his hair might be thinning a bit and he would be scratching a lot. To be honest you can get some good lice shampoo that won't hurt them and treating with ivermectin won't harm them if it isn't mites so if you really can't decide what it is then just treat for both, or at least that would be what I would do. :)

:) thanks... where can I get ivermectin then?
If there is nothing wrong with them will it harm them? And should I treat the whole lot just incase?

The scabs are white like his skin... and I think his skin does look a bit pinker butnot sure... he is scratching and biting heaps... whenever I touch it he turns around to bite it :-\

good luck :-* :-* :-* kisses to Angus :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

Not sure where to get it from in Australia. Here we can get it in pet shops or the vets and I think some horse type shops sell it, but that stuff needs diluting. I'd try your pet shops first and I'd buy enough for everyone.

Good Luck... my love to Angus x x x :smitten:

Cindy is scratching now too :-\ but her skin is the same colour as her hair so I cant see much...

BW call the vets, you'll need to get the stuff from them. I've got malaseb which you bathe them in, it's brilliant, but then you'll need Revolution or something similar. Make sure you get the one for kittens/puppies up to 3 months old and i then part the hair at the back of their neck and pop 2 drops on the area, if you get it on your fingers wash immediately in warm soapy water O0
The vets will help you out, i'd ask their advice :)
Good luck love :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

:) thanks Glynis... Do you mean the dog flea treatment... where you put a dob of the liquid on their neck every 3 months ?

Cindy and Wilson have both been bathed recently and their hair doesnt seem to be dandruffy... but Angus, who hasnt had a bath has dandruff... so do you think I should get the special shampoo and do them all again? :)

I just remembered... Last time Wilson had a Bath, Angus had one too - so it cant be that he is dirty... I'm going to wash him again tomorow because he smells anyway... also we are going to get some fleece blankets which will hopefully keep them cleaner! ;D

none of the other pigs have dandruff, but I have seen Wilson and Cindy scratching latley too...

Mum said the small scabs on Angus could be from them fighting... but theyre so tiny and white... what do you think?

Thanks!

ARGH! Wilson has a bald patch on his head! will take a pic in a sec :(

Should I give them ALL (not the babies) a bath tomorow ?

Wilson has this bald patch, Cindy is scratching and Angus has small white scabs and is biting them and scratching ?

100_3099.jpg

100_3101.jpg

Can anyone help?

Wilsons crest used to be full of hair and now its bald... I only just noticed it tonight... what should I do!

Treat for mites, if you can't get ivermectin from shpos in australia, phone the vets like glynis said and either get an appointment or ask them to give you a supplier.

:) thanks...

so you think its mites? not lice?
How do they get mites?

ok, if you can't see anything crawling then I would go with mites, but as I've already mentioned, treating for mites won't harm them, so even if it's not mites at least you've covered all bases.
Mites lie dormant in the skin of a piggy, stess can trigger them, such as new cage mates and the like or new babies being born, so knowing that cindy just had babies and that you have been introducing all the boys then I would say thats another tick in the mites box.

Aww... thanks... yer... we have had alot going on here so I def agree with what your saying... Ill ring the vet (who will neauter wilson) tomorow and see what they say... and what medications we can get over here :)

Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back