Angry Piggies....

• Thread starter Thread starter spitcher88
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

spitcher88

Over the last couple of weeks two of my boars have been getting a bit touchy with each other. This hasn't really happened before but I think it might be because of 'who is in charge'. It has never got too bad and because I have a multi level cage they just run to their own places. What I'm worried about it that it will never stop. Has anyone had a situation like this, and if so what did you do? They usually get along...I just would hate to separate them after they've been together for so long (about a year) :-\.

Not all boars stay together, the oldest I've had to split a pair was two years old. I get them castrated and rehome them (these are rescue ones) with sows. Wait and see it may blow over.

I'm waiting with crossed fingers for it to die down with mine. They are 15 weeks old, from the same litter, and have been going on like it for about 3 weeks. No fighting or mounting yet, just rumbling, it seeems a little bit quieter this week.

My male piggies have just started to do the same. One just seems very un socail with the other the lady I got them from said that at around three months their hormones kick in and they are not sure if they are male or female hence the mounting she advised to spray them with flea spray are give them a bath. I have done the flea spray and although the other is still not very sociable they can now eat in the same place with out getting grumpy. I am hoping it blows over two as I have not got the room to house them sepratly and one would have to be re-homed

karenrgpr said:
Not all boars stay together, the oldest I've had to split a pair was two years old. I get them castrated and rehome them (these are rescue ones) with sows. Wait and see it may blow over.

I did wonder that :-\ it will be such a shame if it comes to separation but...they have been loads better this week. I've put a new floor in so they have lot's of space to be out of each others way.

Hope things get better for you Wicket and Guineafriend O0

We had this with a rescue pair. We neutered them before it got too serious and they were fine after that. If you leave it too long before neutering they may not be able to go back together again if the spats get more serious.

I thought that neutering boars didn't change their behaviour? I'd been told that were was no point if I wanted to avoid a pair fighting. Is this just a myth then?

Puzzled! :)

Thanks, LucyWoo, that's interesting to know. I'm learning lots on this forum.

Spitcher88, I wish I could post something more helpful, but I recently had to split my two boy piggies as they had been lunging at each other, all teeth and puffed out fur. The pigs weren't hurt but like you I'm also worried that they might be.

One good suggestion I got from maryh, one of the moderators, was to bathe my piggies in Gorgeous Guineas Lavender shampoo to calm them down. My wee pig is too young to bathe at just now but I am going to try this later and see if I can't reintroduce them.

I'm glad they've been better this week. Good luck! O0

I castrate and rehome with sows, its never worked for me. When I get a pair in that people have split themselves I always try them to see how bad they really are- sometimes its just rumbling that they get over but if its not going to work out they are castrated. It would be good if they went back together afterwards because for two wheeks after the op I have a whole cage being taken up by one guinea, would be nice to put them back together and have more room :)

Fighting could still break out between two castrated boars, so you still need to be prepared to split them.

Thanks for the advice everyone :) I might try and separate and re-introduce but I don't think I can risk leaving them together, don't want them to be unhappy. Thanks again :smitten: :smitten:

My boys have been a lot quieter with the introduction of a "towel tent".
I cut an old bath towel into quarters and pegged one quarter across one corner of the cage, it doesn't take up too much room, one piggy goes in there, the other piggy goes in the log house, they both seem pretty happy with this.

Also, my log house is one of those that you can shape a little bit, I made it a little lower for the piggy inside so that it was flat on the top, now they jump on top of it too. The cheeky piggy now stands on it to shout to me when i go into my living room for the first time each morning (I think he is addicted to apples).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back