Am I Doing This Right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kithri

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi, everyone. Sorry for the sudden rush of threads from me, but you'll probably have to get used to it! :P

I think I'm doing everything right for Eleanor and Lucy, whom we brought home yesterday from the shelter. They're in a 2x4 (well, a little larger) cage with fleece bedding, plenty of hay, two plastic hideouts from their cage at the shelter, and some toys. They're definitely eating, because they demolished the hay supply by the time I got home from work, and they (or one of them) ate a treat we left in front of the hideouts.

They're both extremely nervous. Their cage is in our office, and if we're in the room, they're hiding. Period. They won't eat anything from my hand; I tried some bits of apple just now and though Eleanor seemed tempted, she still refused. My fiancé and I set up our webcam so we could watch to see what they did when we left them alone, and not long after we did, it was like "Hey, party now that our parents are out of town!" They went straight to the hay, ran around, and did their normal, piggy thing. They're also poop monsters and seemed quite offended by me cleaning up after them. I didn't want to bring them out for floor time today out of fear of inducing heart attacks. I tried to get them to eat a bit of cucumber last night, but they refused, though the owner of the shelter said they had just eaten, so I wasn't too concerned. I set out some pellets this morning, but some is still left over.

Even though I know it's only been 24 hours, I do struggle with anxiety, and though it's been better as of late, and though I've done mounds of research and I keep telling myself that it will take a while for the girls to get used to us, I guess I just need some reassurance. Theo (my fiancé) and I have full-time jobs, so it's not like we can be here all day. I try to spend as much time as possible without overwhelming them, but I worry that us just being in the office is stressful for them. Is there anything I should do differently? Should I keep doing what I'm doing and wait for them to trust us?

Bit of a tiny update: they're starting to move around a bit even though we're in the room. (Granted, it's from hidey to hidey, but they used to just freeze until we left, so I consider it to be progress.)

Just give them time. If necessary, put a blanket or beach towel over the top and 3 sidesof the cages to give them a feeling of protection and put food, hay and water close to where they are, especially something green. Then sit back and wait; it may take a few days. Start talking to them in a gentle stream when you come into the room. Be patient, as difficult as it is.
Many new piggies will only come out when nobody is in the room and they feel safe at first.

Please take the time to read this guide here. It has lots of tips on how you can avoid looking like a predator, so they relax sooner. At the moment, they are running on their prey animal instincts as they are in a foreign and potentially hostile territory.
How Do I Settle Shy New Guinea Pigs?

Once they are moving around, you can then start building up a feeding ritual, so they can learn what to expect and get a structure to their new life. You can also start using and mimicking guinea pig behaviours ("guinea pig whispering") to make friends with them without handling them. I would wait with that until they have settled enough to come out for food in your presence at he very least, or take food from your hand.
How To Understand Guinea Pig Instincts And Speak Piggy Body Language
How To Pick Up And Weigh Your Guinea Pig

It is the leaving off part at first that is the most difficult for new owners.

Patience really does pay off and with my boys I found keeping a good routine with gradual contact worked best. When I gave their veggies at the beginning I held out a leaf for them to take from my hand before they got the whole lot and it's still something we do - they queue up at the front of the cage, practically throwing themselves at me to get the first hand fed leaf!
Sounds like you're doing a good job

I feel like I made some progress with the girls, speaking quietly down at their level, offering food, and leaving them alone. Eleanor looked like and REALLY wanted to eat some lettuce from my hand last night. But in the morning I found that they hadn't eaten as many veggies as the night before. Before they devoured the lettuce and now there was still some left, and they didn't eat much hay either. It may have stormed last night, so maybe they were spooked, or maybe it's still just them getting used to their new home.

Someone please tell me I'm mad and that they're fine.

I also suffer with anxiety, so much so that it took me 7 years to pluck up courage to get more guinea pigs! Those first few days when you bring them home are hell. You know to leave them alone and be patient, but you just can't help checking on them and worrying that they aren't eating/drinking enough.
I find a webcam really useful, I watch them from work! It's just reassuring to see them doing normal piggy things, even if they are still hiding when you go near them. They will slowly start getting use to you and before you know it a year will of passed (like me) and they are much tamer and more comfortable with their surroundings.

Mine will now take food from my hand but prefer to eat under cover. I have had them for just over three months. I used to do lap time for a tiny bit each day but they hated it so much that i stopped. I often chat to them and pretty much feed them whenever i go into their room.

They do take a while to settle. Thats prey animals for you.

Thanks for the continued help... We've made progress! The girls both are in our presence last night! First it was just Eleanor, but then Lucy came out for some hay! It was the best feeling ever knowing that they're starting to feel more comfortable!

YPrvpnC.jpg

aww they are cute..... I find that when it is quiet mine are more freaked out.. I often put the tv on for them when they are out in their indoor run... it does take time... had mine 2 years and they can still freak out at times when i come to them... mainly they just look disgusted at me if i approach their cage with no food ! I can't even shout to my kids that dinner is ready otherwise they would think its their dinner time lol ! Good luck.. sounds like you are doing everything right.

So they were hanging out in a kiddie pool while I cleaned their cage, and both got some urine on their bellies because they decided it would be a good idea to just sit in it. Will they clean themselves off or do we need to do it for them?

It all looks and sounds okay try just sitting by the cage and talk to them quietly just don't make eye contact as it could scare them:shh::nod:

So they were hanging out in a kiddie pool while I cleaned their cage, and both got some urine on their bellies because they decided it would be a good idea to just sit in it. Will they clean themselves off or do we need to do it for them?
Guinea pigs are very clean animals (as far as cleaning themselves) but sometimes they do need help with that. Personally, I would wait to bathe them. They are new to you and you're just building up that trust with them. If you're worried about UTI infections, just take a damp cloth and wipe them off. At this point they're probably already dried and okay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back