• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Am i doing the right thing?

• Thread starter Thread starter Clover_kins
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Clover_kins

Hi,

Clover has been having a lot of urinary/kidney problems for the last few months. She had an x-ray for stones, and it was clear. The vet feared it might be kidney disease (Clover is 7 next month) and then started talking about when things 'get bad' and 'pain relief :-\ (i obviously don't want it to get to that stage).

The vet 'gave' me some septrin and said to medicate if she gets poorly again (wet bum etc). She has been fine until 2 days ago, where her wee was pink/rusty coloured. So i put her on white towels.. and it seems her wee is normal until the very last bit, which is a rusty colour.

I have put her on the septrin at the vets recommended dosage (once a day, 1/2 a ml). Is this the right thing to do? Also, the vet said keep her on it for 10 days once i have started, does that sound right?

Sorry for all of the questions!
Nici

Sounds good to me. The only thing I've known our vet to do differently is to tell us to split the dose to twice a day (i.e. two doses of 0.25ml) rather than one but it's really best to go with what your vet says. Guinea Lynx also says it can take two weeks or more to clear the infection - http://www.guinealynx.com/uti.html.

You could also try giving her some plain, unsweetened cranberry juice. Make sure it doesn't have any artificial sweetener - you can get this sort of thing in health food shops and larger supermarkets. It has antibacterial properties that can help many species with bladder infections. Most piggies will lap it up!

Hope that helps a wee bit.

Good luck little Clover :-* :-* :-*

Yep agree with daftscotlass and Kelly split the dosage up, that's what i got told by my vets also.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back