Alternatives To Rescues?

Leo

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi everyone.
My only guinea pig passed away recently. I have been missing him dearly and I will never forget him, but I think I want to get two new guinea pigs soon as I really miss caring for him and having a little companion.
My problem is, I don't know where to get them from - I would love to be able to rehome a guinea pig from a shelter but I have been looking for rescues in my area and there doesn't seem to be any that have guinea pigs.
I've been looking on websites such as donedeal and the majority are breeders, but there are some people looking to sell or rehome their pet piggies. Is it a good idea to adopt them from websites like this? And if I were to adopt them from donedeal, would it be ok to adopt two guinea pigs from seperate places who have been living alone, or should I just look for an already bonded pair?
The only other option that I can think of is to buy them from a pet shop, but I'd rather not do that.
Any advice is appreciated and thank you for reading all of this!
(Sorry if this is in the wrong section!)

I adopted my Penny from someone who no longer wanted her... she lived on her own her entire life but got on extremely well with my other two girls, she was estactic actually. She would popcorn at just the sound of one of them wheeking in the beginning when I had her separated from them.

I’m sure any piggy that has been alone would love a companion, especially bringing two lonely pigs together.
There are chances however that a bond may not work, or other issues may arise. It’s always a risk (piggy-relationship wise) during the bonding process.

Although many are against buying pigs from pet stores for good reason, even those piggies need homes, so it’s just whatever is easiest for you.

I bought a lovely young boar from gumtree. His previous owner was caring and genuine. No regrets.

As a forum we recommend reputable rescues for a number of reasons. Their is a saturation of piggies needing homes as well as being ensured to get healthy, vet-checked and well bonded pairs/groups. However we are aware that the availability of rescues in the UK is sparse and even more so in other countries. I think as long as you take some precautions, ask questions and view where they are coming from you can make an informed decision on where you are best to get your piggies from.

On a personal note I am limited on where I can get my piggies from as a number of reputable rescues won't re-home to outdoor homes. My last piggy came from the rescue section of my local pets at home. As said above though she was still in need of a home and at least she is now part of a group and not running the risk of being a lone piggy.

Back