Alternatives To Microwaveable Heat Pads?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steffie

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi,

Looks like Saturday will be a nippy night around Cambridge, 6c. I am planning to bring the boys' hutch 'inside', either into my study in the garden, or into the conservatory, but ideally not until the weather really turns, so not just quite yet. Also because they are quite sheltered, under a tree and with the study at the back. I have already picked up the table cloth with felt and lino, for insulation (great advice on one of the threads), but would like to be really prepared and the heat pads seem great, but:

-believe it or not we don't have a microwave, but I could get one;
-and what about them moving about, or would they just sit on it? Their hutch is 7ft, and on the left they both have their individual hut, behind the door, and on the right they have a cozy corner with loads of hay, which I panel up at night, also so they can choose to huddle if they like to, which they do not typically do, liking their own space more it seems. I can panel the middle section up too when it gets colder.

So, 'invest' in microwave and get 4 pads? Alternatives?

Thanks!

I dont have a microwave either but I got a self heat pad from b&m for £3.99 and it's huge. My girls love it, will prob get few more as they tend to pee on it. The inner is silver with a felt back so makes a bit of a crinkle sound but they don't seem to mind. Here they are modelling it for you ximage.webp

Thanks, that sounds like a good alternative, and cozy too: they look positively snugly! Yes, multiple sounds the way forward: would it be ok to leave it in for a whole night, or will they get a wet bottom? Mine boys are quite hairy ... Like you girls, but less long haired and more fluffy.

I leave mine just outside their cage for when the floor is cold as they are free range & don't spend much time in the cage. The cover pops in the machine and the silver foil is wipe clean. Dries really quickly too. I just tried it on my feet too and I could feel the warmth come thru x

I dont have a microwave either but I got a self heat pad from b&m for £3.99 and it's huge. My girls love it, will prob get few more as they tend to pee on it. The inner is silver with a felt back so makes a bit of a crinkle sound but they don't seem to mind. Here they are modelling it for you xView attachment 15687
This looks a good idea. How does it heat up/stay warm? I have 3 of the microwave heat pads but 6 girls and a boar his own at present. This looks a much larger surface area, room for more to cuddle up together on! My 'clan' live in a purposely purchased 8x12ft shed, which has been fully insulated with kingspan and boarded out. Even the floor got an extra layer of wood boarding too! They have a two story hutch inside this as their bedroom, so its quite a large space and although it doesn't get 'as' cold, the temp still drops and I like to know they are cosy warm huddled up under their hay.

The silver Inside reflects their body heat back to them so stays warm as long as they stay on it. They've just got up and I could feel how warm it had become, they've gone to cool off now.

I have a Petnap electric heat pad (full aluminium body and protected flex). I originally had it for my 10.5 year old bunny but after she died, I gave it to the wiglets. They live in the kitchen/conservatory, which gets pretty cold in winter. I have to say that they absolutely love it to the point where I think I may have to order another one LOL. I cover them with a disposable puppy pad as they do love to wee on them.

I have a Petnap electric heat pad (full aluminium body and protected flex). I originally had it for my 10.5 year old bunny but after she died, I gave it to the wiglets. They live in the kitchen/conservatory, which gets pretty cold in winter. I have to say that they absolutely love it to the point where I think I may have to order another one LOL. I cover them with a disposable puppy pad as they do love to wee on them.
I've never heard of these either! But again sounds a good idea! My shopping list is going to get rather long!

The silver Inside reflects their body heat back to them so stays warm as long as they stay on it. They've just got up and I could feel how warm it had become, they've gone to cool off now.
Thank you. I'm going to check out b&m to see if they have any in now! How long ago did you purchase it?

It was only a couple of weeks ago and they still had some this week when I was in. If not amazon have similar ones but they're a bit more expensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back