Alternative to newspaper

maharvey83

New Born Pup
Reaction score
After ideas to put on the bottom of a guinea pig hutch. Currently using newspaper with sawdust (dust free) and hay but newspapers are hard to come by these days without buying brand new which is getting costly. What are your pretences in an outdoor hutch? Also interested in who uses a hay rack or box as opposed to putting hay in their hideys and bedding

I have Correx lined my two wooden based hutches (for my rabbits) and then just throw aubiose/megazorb in directly on the correx

My piggy hutch has the metal pull out trays (which I don’t pull out) and I just put the aubiose/megazorb in.

As outdoor piggies (well in a shed) my hutches are always filled with loose hay (even more so in winter) so they are kept warm (I don’t use hay racks)

Last edited:
I have Correx lined my two wooden based hutches (for my rabbits) and then just throw aubiose/megazorb in directly on the correx

My piggy hutch has the metal pull out trays (which I don’t pull out) and I just put the aubiose/megazorb in.

As outdoor piggies (well in a shed) my hutches are always filled with loose hay (even more so in winter) so they are kept warm (I don’t use hay racks)
Thank you for the reply. I’ll look correx up as I haven’t heard of it. How often do you need to change the megazorb? Is that an alternative to sawdust? My Guinea pigs don’t seem to eat much hay and was wondering if keeping it in a rack or something might be better for them

Correx is most commonly used as a base for c&c (indoor) cages but it works so well for protecting the wood for outdoor hutches!

Yes its an alternative to shavings.
Megazorb is a bi-product of the paper making industry. I really like it, one of the most absorbent beddings Ive come across (I prefer it to shavings). I do a full clean once a week but wet bits of megazorb get removed daily.

I found when I did originally use hayracks that mine actually ate less hay than they do now I dont use racks at all. They love being amongst big piles of loose hay. I get my hay from Haybox. I use meadow hay primarily for bedding and the soft cut Timothy hay for eating - again, just a couple of loose piles of the soft cut into various areas of the cage. Their hay is topped up a few times a day. Wet hay is removed daily and replaced.

You can only gauge their hay intake by their weekly weight checks, not by eye - so it may appear that they aren't eating much, but if their weight is going up and you are feeding only the recommended and limited amounts of veg and pellets, then their weight gain is coming from hay intake as it should be. They will not eat all the hay you put in, which is why topping it up regularly keeps them interested - they like to forage through and pick out the best bits!

I have an indoor cage but I use puppy pads underneath woodshavings. I was using newspaper but can no longer get hold of it easily. I just put the hay in loose on the floor of the cage although I do use a hay bag for their 'treat' hay

Hello. I get old newspapers from my parents. If you are struggling to find some I’d try putting a wanted ad on gumtree or nextdoor websites. I’m sure someone would be willing to donate their old papers. Good luck.

If you have a Waitrose in Watford look into their Free Newspaper when you spend £10. Think it's still £10 - I just get it with the big shop. Whatever your politics I find the Telegraph has the biggest fold out sheets and is the most rapidly absorbent but take the staples out of the sports section! They also do the 'Waitrose Weekend' free paper with recipes and store promos in... I try and lift 2 or 3 of these as they are also nice and absorbent! 😜

Mine are indoor but in the bedroom areas I use Back-2-Nature pellets with hay on top which are extremely absorbent but also expensive. Unlike the newspapers our council will accept them in green waste though!

Have tried hay racks but they like it on the floor better. My friend has an outdoor hutch and she literally fills the bedroom bit with hay every day so they can burrow in it - only the softer meadow hay though as spiky Timothy hay is a risk at eye level!

i also use puppy pads with aubiose/raviera bedding on top.just ensure the pads are completely covered by bedding.

Back