Alternative nugget brands - thoughts?

thewheakybeans

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi everyone, hope your piggies are well ☺️ I've come across a few new-to-me nugget brands/nugget alternatives recently through small UK businesses and wondering if anyone has used them or can comment on the nutrition based on the ingredients list?

I currently feed my herd Science Selective Grain-free nuggets but would like to explore possibly more natural alternatives and if possible, support smaller businesses seeing as nuggets seem to be expensive wherever you source them at the mo!

The ones I've come across are:

Guinea Pig Pellets - Concentrate - Guinea Pig Pellet - Concentrate

Nature's Own New Formula Guinea Pig Feed - https://naturesownpets.co.uk/shop/products/new-formula-guinea-pig-formula

Erin's Ark Guinea Pig Mega Blend - Guinea Pig Mega Blend

Any thoughts?

The first one is piggie parcels which is newly launched. These look good.
Piggie Parcels is run by a member of this forum.

The second one I would not feed. It contains alfalfa (Lucerne) and all those pea flakes which should only be given very sparingly as an occasional treat

The third one looks to be just a forage mix. The sort of thing you mix in with hay for a bit or variety

Last edited:
The first one is piggie parcels which is newly launched. These look good.
Piggie Parcels is run by a member of this forum.

The second one I would not feed. It isn’t grass or Timothy based and contains alfalfa (Lucerne)

The third one looks to be just a forage mix. The sort of thing you mix in with hay for a bit or variety
Yes, the Piggie Parcels ones look the most nugget-like out of the above selection so might give them a try once I finish their current nuggets.
I didn't realise Lucerne is alfalfa so that's useful to know, thanks :)

Yes, the Piggie Parcels ones look the most nugget-like out of the above selection so might give them a try once I finish their current nuggets.
I didn't realise Lucerne is alfalfa so that's useful to know, thanks :)

If you want to try something else then best to get them while you still have some of your current nuggets left.
You should introduce new nuggets slowly mixing old with a few of the new in gradually changing ratios (or 90:10 old to new, 70:30, 50:50 etc) until they are on fully new ones

An edit though - the second one does contain dried grasses but the alfalfa content and the pea flake content would make them something I would avoid

Back