Alternative covers for Pets at Home Bluebell thermal covers?

machuandpicchumummy

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Does anyone know any alternatives to the Pets at Home branded thermal hutch cover that would fit this hutch (5ft). We've had a couple of these and find they're not brilliant and have both split in under 6 months along the side and therefore let cold in. They're also very expensive to keep replacing. Any alternative brands/models appreciated. Needs to be thermal to keep them insulated.

scratch and newton make thermal cover,and a seperate cover to work together.They are not cheap ,but very well made,mine have lasted 7 years.They do several sizes,including some to fit PAH hutches.i had the same problem as you with the PAH own thermal covers.
Thanks for the recommendations. this them? Does the fly screen come up easily? As in you dont need to take the snuggle bit off every time you want to open a door etc?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221207-144311_Chrome.webp
    Screenshot_20221207-144311_Chrome.webp
    56.2 KB · Views: 10
  • Screenshot_20221207-144248_Chrome.webp
    Screenshot_20221207-144248_Chrome.webp
    46.3 KB · Views: 11
I’ve got two scratch and newton. One off the shelf and one custom made.
The fly cover just Velcro’s on the front. I only put the fly cover on in summer and store it in a box in winter. The fly screen has no bearing on the use of the thermal cover

The other thing - is to just buy a standard waterproof (non thermal) cover and make your own thermal cover using silver backed foil and insulation tape. I have also done this and it works very well

Thanks for all the advice guys. I've ordered a hutch hugger and snuggle from scratch and newton for as our PAH showerproof cover has also split same as the thermal so now we will (hopefully) have a cover for all occasions for many years to come!

My S&N are certainly better quality than the cover that came with my old bluebell hutch!

I received my order today and I'm really disappointed in the Hutch Hugger 🙁 I was expecting much thicker tarpaulin and it also didn't fit my hutch that well over the snuggle and didn't have a closure at the top like the PAH one so left a massive gap. I wasn't sure what the clips were for at the bottom either, any idea? Just to check it's not user error before I return it. 😊 the snuggle is fine though and I guess I can use that under my Pets at Home showerproof cover. It's a shame as I expected great things based on reviews.

Attachments

• 20221209_111349.webp
    20221209_111349.webp
    140.7 KB · Views: 9
This is the huge gap at the top

Attachments

• 20221209_111346.webp
    20221209_111346.webp
    82.4 KB · Views: 9
The clips at the bottom are to secure the covers around the legs of the hutch.
You unclip the clips, pull them through the plastic to tighten them around the legs of the hutch and then do the clips back up.

I’ve got two hutch huggers. One has three Velcro straps down each side. The other only has one Velcro strap at the bottom. I use bulldog clips further up if needed

Back