Already So Stressed Ha

Mantha16

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Ok so obvs it's only day one but I've noticed that j-rocs nails might be a bit long. I don't think they are going to want to be picked up so it might be a vet trip. How much should I expect to pay for a nail trim and how do I know when the nails are too long.

I'll try and get a pic if I can

Ok so best pics I could get unfortunately this is Oswald j-roc is not being a cooperative photography model today l

20180107_120910.webp

20180107_120724.webp

Hi! Have a look at this guide here. Take it easy and don't get upset you cannot manage them all at the first go if you are newbie. Please be careful to not cut into the quick; this is much easier to see in light coloured nails but a real in pain dark or solid black ones. which method and clippers or scissors you use depends on your personal preference; it has to work for you.

If you are too worried or frightened, book an appointment with a vet nurse at your clinic; they will do it for you, usually for a reasonable fee and they will also prepared to show you how it is done.
Guide to Cutting Guinea Pig Nails

I always take mine to the vet for a nail trim by the nurse. They charge me £5 per piggy.
I asked if she’d do mine too but she just grinned at me!

My vet charges £10 per pig so I'm jealous @Merab's Slave ! I have a piggy rescue near me who charges £2.50 per pig which helps as I have 5 :)) I don't know if you have any rescues near you that might be able to help with it? Always worth an ask! :)

The nearest rescue is where I got them from and they aren't small animal experts which is why I think they are a bit long. Yeah I think vets it is they aren't ready to be routinely picked up by me yet I want them to learn I'm the weird large thing that gives them spring greens not the evil being who cuts their nails let the vet take that burden ha

Hi! Have a look at this guide here. Take it easy and don't get upset you cannot manage them all at the first go if you are newbie. Please be careful to not cut into the quick; this is much easier to see in light coloured nails but a real in pain dark or solid black ones. which method and clippers or scissors you use depends on your personal preference; it has to work for you.

If you are too worried or frightened, book an appointment with a vet nurse at your clinic; they will do it for you, usually for a reasonable fee and they will also prepared to show you how it is done.
Guide to Cutting Guinea Pig Nails
yeah i had a look at the guide maybe in the long term i can do it but i think right now it would be too traumatising for them and me

yeah i had a look at the guide maybe in the long term i can do it but i think right now it would be too traumatising for them and me

Then the best way forward is a trip to your vets... ;)

I did my piggies nails til I got Drom who had all black feet, nah I chickened out from then onwards :))

I also didn't wanna be known as the mean nail lady haha but also because it took me forever and I hated it :))

My vet charges £10 per pig so I'm jealous @Merab's Slave ! I have a piggy rescue near me who charges £2.50 per pig which helps as I have 5 :)) I don't know if you have any rescues near you that might be able to help with it? Always worth an ask! :)
£2.50 sounds good. Unfortunately I’m too far from a rescue to make it worth the trip and the vet is very close. I will bear that in mind though next time we move. Thanks

So I know with birds you can get special sandpaper for their perches that they can file their claws on would the same work for piggies. I know blocks or whatever don't work but I wonder if flat paper would.

So I know with birds you can get special sandpaper for their perches that they can file their claws on would the same work for piggies. I know blocks or whatever don't work but I wonder if flat paper would.
I’m no expert but I think this would hurt their soft little feet. So I wouldn’t use this I’m afraid. Xx

Back