• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Alone IC Piggie

Piggies2023

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Has anyone had a guinea pig that is alone with IC? And it got worse after loosing a friend and then got better after they got a new friend?

I don't know what to do with my Nancy. I know she needs a friend. I'm trying to get her one. But I'm quite concerned tonight. She had been better yesterday. In terms of squeaking when weeing and now she isn't as good. She's gaining weight etc. but I thought with her level of metacam she would be completely pain free. I'm finding it difficult to make a decision because she is clearly anxious alone and anxiety makes her IC worse.

She is sitting making happy noises right now. But then I have also had some squeaks when weeing.

It's so horrible hearing them squeak when they pee and not being able to help them isn't it 😕
Have you tried Cystease capsules for cats? They can help a little with IC.
It may also be worth a chat with your vet to see if you can up her pain relief.
With regards to getting her a friend, there's no reason why not! It may cheer her up, and if you go to a rescue to adopt a companion for her, and something should happen, all good rescues should take a piggy back so you're not left with a lonely piggie again.

Sending Nancy healing vibes ❤️. I hope she is soon feeling better and that you can find a friend for her too 🤞🏻

I spent all day with Nancy on Thursday. Literally just sat in my bedroom with her for 24 hours apart from popping out to get things. I wanted to do like a quality of life check if you catch what I mean. She was still squeaking sometimes when weeing & I wasn't particularly happy. But she was very happy and active in-between. Well.. I'm not sure what has changed and whether sitting in the room was helpful because she stopped being anxious. And then yesterday.. again wasn't anxious. Or maybe she has adjusted more as it's been over 2 weeks since Pumpkin died. And now I think... I hope her flare up has ended. I haven't heard anything since yesterday morning. And she was full on zooming yesterday night 🥰🥰🥰, just like a little baby piggie. We did change some of her medication earlier in the week but I had assumed that it would have worked earlier so I had thought it wasn't working. But maybe it is! But I think the fact she isn't anxious helps a lot.

She obviously likes to keep me on my toes!

I have asked about a friend but unfortunately haven't got one yet.

Back