• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Allergies?

• Thread starter Thread starter crittersgalore
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

crittersgalore

I think one of my females may have allergies. I hear her sneezing, and sometimes her eyes are goopy. However, she acts completley normal, has a very hardy appitite, and drinks plenty of water. I have her on Aspen Shavings, Mazuri pellets, timothy hay, and fruits and veggies of course. The petstore I bought her from had her on Carefresh, do you think she could have an allergy to the Aspen?

Can you try swapping her bedding for a week or two to try and discover the reason?
Wishing you all the best, it's a concern always, wouldn't hurt for you to have her checked out by the vets just in case there's something else there.
Sending healing wheeks and of piggie kisses and cuddles :-* :-*

Glynis said:
Can you try swapping her bedding for a week or two to try and discover the reason?
Wishing you all the best, it's a concern always, wouldn't hurt for you to have her checked out by the vets just in case there's something else there.
Sending healing wheeks and of piggie kisses and cuddles :-* :-*

I think I'm going to try Carefresh. I'll keep you up dated.

My guinea pig sneezes too. We took him to the vet a couple of days after we got him and they said he seemed fine - no discharge from eyes or nose. He was bought from a pet shop where they use about 3 inches of sawdust! I immediatly changed him to carefresh which I really like as it is quite absorbant and he really likes it too but after 8 wheaks(!) I have to say he still sneezes more than I would consider normal (in comparison to other guineas I have met).

I just tend to keep a very close eye on him i.e. check his eyes and nose daily and make sure he is putting on weight. I have read that baby piggies can grow out of this but I think Spike is more likely affected by dust in his hay ( I have allergies too and I have sneezing fits with the hay!). The vet did suggest washing his hay before we feed it too him but its so bitty I would lose most of it down the sink.

You could also tried the dust extracted hay (I got some from p@h) but neither Spike nor Skippy (our rabbit) liked it. In my opinion it was very course and dry.

Cindy used to sneeze heaps to and Wilson would do it once in a while... I was using newsmaper and shredded paper as the bedding but Cindy was sneezing from the day I got her...

One of my piggies coughed and sneezed whilst on shavings. he is now on different bedding and is fine.

I suppose every pig is different. As long as you know that one sneezes more just keep and eye on it. If she ever changes or other symptoms develop take her to a vet straight away. I tend to agree with Glynis though maybe take them to a vet just make sure. When we took Spike they gave him a general check too.

Are URI's contagious?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back