Allergies and hay

Zellity piggies

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi all
It’s my first time posting but I’ve been lurking here and learning for ages.

Struggling a bit with hay and would like some advice please. We started off with meadow hay, I got terrible blocked sinuses (which I’m prone to anyway). I’ve also tried the natures own sweet green and various brands of Timothy but my partner seems allergic to them (I was fine and the piggies liked it!).

We are now on orchard which we both seem okay with, but the piggies don’t seem to love it (and it’s expensive!). I got a sample originally and they wolfed it down, so maybe it’s just this batch?!

I know that any type of hay feeder is a bad idea, so I’m thinking of sticking with orchard in the litter tray, and then have a big bowl at the side with Timothy or sweet green in? It would be easier to go outside with a bowl and empty/refill, so less hay pollen will get in the air in the house?

We are both taking antihistamines and I’ve bought an air purifier which have helped slightly.

We have recently added two long haired sows which leave bits of hair everywhere, we got them from a rescue and they were in dire need of a trim and their fur smelt. I have bathed and groomed them, I’m just hoping it’s not them that my partner is allergic to, as they aren’t going anywhere
:-)

Has anyone had similar or can suggest anything please?

Thank you!

Hi all
It’s my first time posting but I’ve been lurking here and learning for ages.

Struggling a bit with hay and would like some advice please. We started off with meadow hay, I got terrible blocked sinuses (which I’m prone to anyway). I’ve also tried the natures own sweet green and various brands of Timothy but my partner seems allergic to them (I was fine and the piggies liked it!).

We are now on orchard which we both seem okay with, but the piggies don’t seem to love it (and it’s expensive!). I got a sample originally and they wolfed it down, so maybe it’s just this batch?!

I know that any type of hay feeder is a bad idea, so I’m thinking of sticking with orchard in the litter tray, and then have a big bowl at the side with Timothy or sweet green in? It would be easier to go outside with a bowl and empty/refill, so less hay pollen will get in the air in the house?

We are both taking antihistamines and I’ve bought an air purifier which have helped slightly.

We have recently added two long haired sows which leave bits of hair everywhere, we got them from a rescue and they were in dire need of a trim and their fur smelt. I have bathed and groomed them, I’m just hoping it’s not them that my partner is allergic to, as they aren’t going anywhere
:-)

Has anyone had similar or can suggest anything please?

Thank you!
They may get used to the orchard hay. Mine eat orchard hay from haybox and they weren't sure to begin with. Air purifier is a great idea. What room are they currently in?

They are in the lounge, which is not ideal if we can’t sort the allergies, but it’s the only place we can fit them in
I’ll keep trying them with the orchard hay, they are eating it, like they have with other hay.
Thank you!

Sorry you’re struggling with allergies.

Make sure to keep up with the routine weight checks - that’ll tell you that they are eating enough is the orchard hay.

Mine have orchard and love it

I’m not sure if I’m just being a bit paranoid, the hay in the tray is going down so they are eating it!

No weight loss so far, so fingers crossed.

Do you know if only having orchard is okay dental wise? I read somewhere that they need the coarser type hay to wear the teeth down.

Thank you x

I’m not sure if I’m just being a bit paranoid, the hay in the tray is going down so they are eating it!

Do you know if only having orchard is okay dental wise? I read somewhere that they need the coarser type hay to wear the teeth down.

Thank you x
I give coarse Timothy hay as well in a seperate bit. I give orchard hay to bury into it, make tunnels and eat. While Timothy is just to eat. But some people give just meadow hay on its own fine which is similar texture to orchard.

Thank you x

Any hay is absolutely fine - for decades I fed just meadow hay and never had any issues. I now add in orchard for variety

Back