Alfalfa Confusion!

Status
Not open for further replies.

skyebelle

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm new here and I'm having a few last minute panics before I pick up my two baby boys on Thursday.

I bought a big bale of timothy hay before I found out that babies need alfalfa. Can I just feed them this along with unlimited pellets and vegetables or should I go and buy some alfalfa? Does anyone know if pets at home sell alfalfa hay? I can't see anything on their website apart from cubes which I know are no good. I will be using harringtons pellets if that makes any difference.

Thanks! x

Most commercially available pellet brands are alfalfa based, so you do not need to feed any extra alfalfa with unlimited pellets; all brands available in p@h are alfalfa based.
You may find our diet thread helpful; it is specifically written for new owners: https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk...or-a-balanced-general-guinea-pig-diet.116460/

PS: With members from all over the world, we find it very helpful in giving you always appropriate advice and recommedations straight away if you added your country, state or (for the UK) your county or general area to your details. Click on your username on the top bar, then go to personal details/location. Thanks!

Is the Timothy hay going in hay racks as too spiky to be used as bedding.I think people usevtimothy in racks and softer meadow haybfor bedding or for them to play in

Yes, I'll have the timothy hay in racks. I wasn't planning on using it for bedding as I'm using fleece but now that you mention it I'll have to get some softer hay for them to play in as I hadn't thought of that! :/

Piggies love a hay tray underneath the rack to lie and toilet in (they are usually quite good in only using one corner for the latter). For bigger areas, a seed tray comes in handy; that is what I am using for mine.

I have litter trays in my cages that i line with newspaper then finacard then loads of meadow hay.They dive headfirst into it and most wees and poos are done in there.Have a fleece pegged over the cage as they like privacy to use the litter trsys

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back