Air Freshener

Status
Not open for further replies.

chunkbuster23

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi
This might be a silly question but i have 3 guinea pigs and 1 rabbit indoors the pigs are seperate to the rabbit. The guinea pigs are going into a c&c cage in the next couple of weeks an I'm going to put them on fleece. they are cleaned out once a week an every couple of days i change the rabbits litter tray and pick up what piggie poops i can it does get that wood shavings smell in the room and the smell of the animals, i have the windows open if its a nice day but what i wanted to know is there a type of safe air freshner for animals i can keep in the room that i can switch on and off just to get rid of the smell i have an air freshner called pure air which has water you put in an you can add essential oils which swished around and smells nice but i want to know if this would be safe for the animals to be brething in any advice and idears would be great.
Many Thanks

i don't know of any that are safe to use around animals, especially not rabbits and guinea pigs with their sensitive respiratory tracts. airing out the room and cleaning as much as needed (rabbit trays daily and piggy cage twice a week fully with daily spot cleaning) is probably the safest way. white vinegar is safe to use around pets so you could use that with water as a cleaner in the room aswell as for litter trays and correx bases :)

i don't find they smell really to be honest. you could look into an alternative bedding than woodshavings if you don't like that smell. :)

Hi,

I would not use fresheners either. I generally open the windows to air the room out and change the wood shavings regularly.

However the best thing I have found to help with any smell is beaphar cage fresh granules which is available at Pets at Home.

Once you have cleaned out the cage and it is dry you simple sprinkle these on the base of the cage before adding the wood shavings.

It is totally safe for animals and basically what is does is neutralise the urine and break it down so that their is no smell and it definitely works. I use it for my 3 rabbits and 8 guinea pigs so I can guarantee it :lol!:

I can only suggest changing hay and litter daily. I wouldn't feel safe using any air freshener or the alike near my piggies even if it was suggested safe

I woulden risk air fresheners

They air is sweet inough when one of my Boar,s starts to let feremones lose:lol!:

I was wondering this as I don't like the smell of the hay! The piggies are in c&c with fleece, their hay tray is cleaned out twice a day and I poo pick minimum of twice a day... The piggies don't smell but their hay honks lol!

I use windows to my advantage too. I have the airwick spray things in the rest of the house but only have the neutradol odour neutralisers in their room, which aren't air fresheners, they neutralise bad odours instead of giving off an odour and I do find they help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back