air cooler?

piggiemummy03x

Forum Donator 2023/24
Reaction score
with this hot weather recently its got me looking into air conditioning, unfortunately as much as id love too i don't have £250 to spend on a unit, so i’m looking at some other cheaper options and thought id ask on here for recommendations. first of all, is air conditioning the same as an air cooler? i’ve found a couple of units for £50-£80 but they state they are air coolers rather than conditioners, will this be okay to use? has anyone used one for their piggies? they use water so worried it may mess with the humidity?

I have used one for years and it does not really mess too much with the humidity so if my piggies are good with it, I thibk yours will be as well. Just make sure to not make it too cold.

I have used one for years and it does not really mess too much with the humidity so if my piggies are good with it, I thibk yours will be as well. Just make sure to not make it too cold.

brilliant thankyou! i don’t suppose you know what yours is called? i’ve seen so many but want to buy a decent one!

My concern would be in a small area such as a shed whether it would make things too cold too quickly
youd presumably need to keep the shed door closed for it to be effective?

I’m not sure if there is anybody who uses air conditioning in a wooden shed and whether it is going to work differently than in a brick built outbuilding or house

:agr:
I can't imagine something like this would work very well in a wooden shed.
It may make the walls damp, which is fine in Summer when it is hot and they will dry out but you could end up with damp and mould issues further down the line.
Additionally to keep a decent air flow for your piggies you will need to have the door or a window open and it is going to end up costing a fortune in electricity.

Things like air coolers are really designed to be used in larger, more sealed type spaces - a wooden shed isn't what they are made for.

My concern would be in a small area such as a shed whether it would make things too cold too quickly
youd presumably need to keep the shed door closed for it to be effective?

I’m not sure if there is anybody who uses air conditioning in a wooden shed and whether it is going to work differently than in a brick built outbuilding or house

ah yes, this was another worry of mine! i think it’ll be a case of just bringing them in for the days its too hot!

:agr:
I can't imagine something like this would work very well in a wooden shed.
It may make the walls damp, which is fine in Summer when it is hot and they will dry out but you could end up with damp and mould issues further down the line.
Additionally to keep a decent air flow for your piggies you will need to have the door or a window open and it is going to end up costing a fortune in electricity.

Things like air coolers are really designed to be used in larger, more sealed type spaces - a wooden shed isn't what they are made for.

very true! okay thanks for the advice!

ah yes, this was another worry of mine! i think it’ll be a case of just bringing them in for the days its too hot!

Yes. The reality is keeping them outside in summer can be very difficult
Each summer is different so you need to play them by ear and be prepared for anything!

There have been summers where mine have had to come in during the day but by 10pm the shed has cooled enough that they could go back home at night, and then others were it wouldn’t cool at all and even at night it would remain around 28/30 degrees in there

I have two little clip-on fans (electric) and put frozen bottles of water in front of them on particularly hot days - it cools the air more and they can lay against them, too.
I also put in plain ceramic tiles for them to sit on, they seem to stay cool whatever the weather!

Yes. The reality is keeping them outside in summer can be very difficult
Each summer is different so you need to play them by ear and be prepared for anything!

There have been summers where mine have had to come in during the day but by 10pm the shed has cooled enough that they could go back home at night, and then others were it wouldn’t cool at all and even at night it would remain around 28/30 degrees in there

yes of corse! wow that’s hot!

I have two little clip-on fans (electric) and put frozen bottles of water in front of them on particularly hot days - it cools the air more and they can lay against them, too.
I also put in plain ceramic tiles for them to sit on, they seem to stay cool whatever the weather!

ooh okay thankyou!

Back