air conditioning units

piggiemummy03x

Forum Donator 2023/24
Reaction score
right guys i need recommendations for a air conditioning unit please! i’ve looked at a couple of them and seen you have to fill with water and remove, is this safe for a piggie room or will it cause too much humidity?

I don’t have any recommendations but I should think any air conditioning unit should be fine. Some of our members who live in hot counties have air conditioning in their homes with piggies and they’re perfectly fine 🙂

We have one although it’s not one that you add water to, we used it in the piggies room last year just not directly blasting on them ☺️

If it is humid where you live, you do not really want to add more moisture to the air. We have high humidity in Indiana frequently and that makes the air really hard to breathe when it is hot. I have an air conditioner unit for my whole house to help cool things down. I would personally recommend buying a regular air conditioner like a window unit or a stand alone unit.

I don’t have any recommendations but I should think any air conditioning unit should be fine. Some of our members who live in hot counties have air conditioning in their homes with piggies and they’re perfectly fine 🙂

thankyou!

We have one although it’s not one that you add water to, we used it in the piggies room last year just not directly blasting on them ☺️

hiya, ideally this is what i’m looking for! i don’t suppose you remember what you payed / could share a link please?

If it is humid where you live, you do not really want to add more moisture to the air. We have high humidity in Indiana frequently and that makes the air really hard to breathe when it is hot. I have an air conditioner unit for my whole house to help cool things down. I would personally recommend buying a regular air conditioner like a window unit or a stand alone unit.

thankyou!

hiya, ideally this is what i’m looking for! i don’t suppose you remember what you payed / could share a link please?
We bought it off a neighbour I’m afraid and I think they got it off eBay it doesn’t have a brand or anything in it.

I have central air-conditioning system that runs throughout the entire house. My Finn, an indoor piggy, is now 7 years old and lives in the same air-conditioned house as I do. Temperature is pretty consistent for indoor piggies Finn, Bear and Ben.

Is it not a humidifier?
I have no experience with air conditioning but I thought a humidifier adds moisture to the air, a dehumidifier removes moisture from the air annd air conditioning filters air.

Is it not a humidifier?
I have no experience with air conditioning but I thought a humidifier adds moisture to the air, a dehumidifier removes moisture from the air annd air conditioning filters air.
This is correct. Dehumidifier will suck moisture out of air. I have this in the basement where humidity is high during the summer months.

I have central air-conditioning system that runs throughout the entire house. My Finn, an indoor piggy, is now 7 years old and lives in the same air-conditioned house as I do. Temperature is pretty consistent for indoor piggies Finn, Bear and Ben.

oh lovely!

Is it not a humidifier?

i’m not sure! i think actually you add ice and then remove water, not the other way round lol, see i’m clueless hence why i asked for recommendations!🤣🤣

We’ve got an air conditioning unit in the guinea pig log cabin. It’s a blyss one! It vents out of the window and has been invaluable, especially when we had the very hot weather last year!

View attachment 225230
Thanks for this. How does the venting work? Does it have an attachment that covers an open window? After the heatwaves of last year I would like one of these for the piggy shed to save the stress of bringing everyone indoors again. Does the power cable attach near the bottom or top? Because it would have to stand inside a piggy pen to be close to the window and I wouldn't want anyone to chew the cable! Thankyou x

Thanks for this. How does the venting work? Does it have an attachment that covers an open window? After the heatwaves of last year I would like one of these for the piggy shed to save the stress of bringing everyone indoors again. Does the power cable attach near the bottom or top? Because it would have to stand inside a piggy pen to be close to the window and I wouldn't want anyone to chew the cable! Thankyou x
Last year I used a towel to cover the open window and then put the hose through at the bottom and pinned the towel as closely around the hose as possible. My plan this year is to get a wooden panel, that fits into the window frame, with a hole in it that the hose fits snuggly through.

The power lead comes from about 1/3 of the way up the unit.

Back