Agression

Lunapxggies

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I’m at a loss with one of my pigs, I got her from an abusive situation where she was alone , not being fed and in a gross environment. I’ve tried to bond with her but I think she is too traumatized to bond with anyone( anytime i try to go near the cage (unless i have food) she runs away or tries to bite me. She bit me quite hard a couple weeks ago and it really scared me. I really don’t know what to do anymore do i just stop trying to bond with her or keep at it and keep the routine the bonding? I feel like i’m doing something wrong but a part of me also tells me she is just been through too much to trust anyone:(.

I adopted a piggy who was the most terrified piggie I have ever met. When I gave her cuddle, unless she was completely hidden in my big cardy, she would panic and try to get away. She didn't even have the "if I keep still that big smelly predator will lose interest and leave me alone" response. I took it very slowly (and at her pace) and it took a good 8 months to a year but she went from being a completely terrified feral piggie to happy and confident piggy. She never liked being picked up but she enjoyed a cuddle.

It can take a long time for a piggy to trust you. Take it at their pace and you will be rewarded. You need a lot of patience and understanding especially as you piggy has come from an abusive situation. She may never trust you fully but just be happy that she is in a safe environment where she is loved, respected and looked after properly.

I adopted a piggy who was the most terrified piggie I have ever met. When I gave her cuddle, unless she was completely hidden in my big cardy, she would panic and try to get away. She didn't even have the "if I keep still that big smelly predator will lose interest and leave me alone" response. I took it very slowly (and at her pace) and it took a good 8 months to a year but she went from being a completely terrified feral piggie to happy and confident piggy. She never liked being picked up but she enjoyed a cuddle.

It can take a long time for a piggy to trust you. Take it at their pace and you will be rewarded. You need a lot of patience and understanding especially as you piggy has come from an abusive situation. She may never trust you fully but just be happy that she is in a safe environment where she is loved, respected and looked after properly.
Thank you so much!

You’ve done an amazing thing by taking her in and giving her the best life possible now. I’d take it slow and I’m sure she will mellow with your love and care.

I’m at a loss with one of my pigs, I got her from an abusive situation where she was alone , not being fed and in a gross environment. I’ve tried to bond with her but I think she is too traumatized to bond with anyone( anytime i try to go near the cage (unless i have food) she runs away or tries to bite me. She bit me quite hard a couple weeks ago and it really scared me. I really don’t know what to do anymore do i just stop trying to bond with her or keep at it and keep the routine the bonding? I feel like i’m doing something wrong but a part of me also tells me she is just been through too much to trust anyone:(.

Hi and welcome

Please take the time to read these guides here so you can understand better where your girl is coming from and how to work around it in concepts that she will understand instantly instead of having to wait for her to figure humans.

Understanding Prey Animal Instincts, Guinea Pig Whispering and Cuddling Tips
How To Pick Up And Weigh Your Guinea Pigs Safely (videos)
How Do I Settle Shy New Guinea Pigs?
Arrival in a home from the perspective of pet shop guinea pigs

Moody Guinea Pigs: Depression, Bullying, Aggression, Stress, Fear and Antisocial Behaviour
" Biting" And What You Can Do (Biting, Tweaking, Nibbling and Nipping)

Working with a badly traumatised piggy is not a quick process and more of a 'one step forward - two steps back' process. Whenever she goes on overload, you have start back in square one again (or at least several steps back in later stages) and work up from there again; the good news is that this process will happen more quickly as time goes by and you can get that bit further by gently prodding the limit while trying to avoid overstepping it. Patience and persistence will get you there.

Initially concentrate on creating an environment in which you announce every action with a different call/tune so she can learn to anticipate and it is not all just random violence. Use piggy whispering to reassure her that she is safe and welcome to be part of your group, so she belongs and has an identity. Whenever you handle imagine her picture in your head just how precious she is and how much care you are taking with her. Be generous with praise and reassurance and make your voice sound disappointed but never angry when she tweaks you hard etc. Try to be as hands-off as possible; she's likely been very roughly handled. You never know with traumatised piggies where their hang-ups are initially but you can eventually work around them and build up trust.

It is however more likely a matter of months rather than days or weeks but there is nothing like the moment when you realise that a poor neglected/abused creature discovers that there is a paradise on earth for them and nothing like the moment when you realise that they are trusting you implicitly - some things you cannot buy.

Back