Aggressive behaviour

Popcorn23

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello,
Apologies if this is a really silly post. I adopted 2 neutered boars yesterday, brothers around 5m . The fosterer said they had been getting on well with him and grooming eachother etc.

This morning they were popcorning in their cage but this pm Bean has been rumble stancing , lunging and getting his face into Sausages face.
I have a 2X4 cc cage and 2 of everything.
They seem to sit next to eachother when scared but am worried about this aggression. Will i need to separate them or will they work through this I'm so worried.

Welcome to the forum

Your piggies will be in a period of reestablishing their relationship and hierarchy now they are in a new environment - Beans is reasserting that he is the dominant is the two. Even if they have always been together, they will still need to reestablish. This takes around two weeks. Coupled with that, they are right at the start of their teens and hormones are now raging. Seeing dominance in both the cases - new environment and the teens - is to be expected.

It’s important to distinguish between normal dominance and aggression. Rumbling is not aggression - it’s dominance and nothing to be concerned about.
You do not need to separate them unless there is a full on fight. It looks tense to us, but it’s important that you leave them to sort things out is they can.
If they do have an actual fight then that will mean they need to be separated but for now you need to just watch them but let them get on with things.

Boars: Teenage, Bullying, Fighting, Fall-outs And What Next?
A Comprehensive Guide to Guinea Pig Boars
Dominance Behaviours In Guinea Pigs

Back