Aggressive behavior?

Golins_guinea_pigs

New Born Pup
Reaction score
My guinea pigs always had signs of showing dominance, which I know is OK. They are both males so I know they are a bit more aggressive than females but now for the past few days, they’ve been arguing more and it gotten a little aggressive. I gave one of my guinea pigs medicine for the past days and I don’t know if the other guinea pig is getting jealous that he’s not getting anything.

The one that hasn’t gotten the medicine is a bit more aggressive and he’s been lunging at the other one sometimes and they’ve been doing aggressive teeth chattering.

Piggies aren’t aggressive just because they’re males, there will be a reason for any aggression (if that is what it is, and it isnt in fact just dominance).

Is the piggy you are medicating the dominant or submissive piggy?

I ask this because it is important to always handle the dominant piggy first to respect their hierarchy. If you handle the submissive first then it will put the dominant out and cause them to display additional dominance to reassert their position.

If it is submissive who is having the medication, then ensure you get the dominant out first for some attention, put him back and then get out the submissive for his medicine.

Lunging is a defensive action not aggression

When one of my boys (dominant) was having medicine the other one did seem to get jealous. I couldn't give the syringe in the cage as Master Boris would try to steal it. After Sir George was sorted, I got Master Boris out weighed him, checked him over then he got a syringe of water and a treat. He was happy then. He is a little weirdo though and loves drinking from a syringe.

Piggies aren’t aggressive just because they’re males, there will be a reason for any aggression (if that is what it is, and it isnt in fact just dominance).

Is the piggy you are medicating the dominant or submissive piggy?

I ask this because it is important to always handle the dominant piggy first to respect their hierarchy. If you handle the submissive first then it will put the dominant out and cause them to display additional dominance to reassert their position.

If it is submissive who is having the medication, then ensure you get the dominant out first for some attention, put him back and then get out the submissive for his medicine.

Lunging is a defensive action not aggression
I was giving the medicine to the submissive, guinea pig. I will make sure that I give the dominant one attention first now. Thank you so much.

Back