• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

AGES OF GUINEAS

Status
Not open for further replies.

CAM

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Can anyone suggest how I can tell how old my guineas are? Can I tell by weighing them?

Hiya,

Guinea pigs can range in size from 11/2 lbs to 3lbs so its difficult to tell by weight. A pig stops growing at 14 months old or so. So if your pig is still growing then he is younger than that. If you are ever at the vets then he/she will probably be able to tell you the age.

Take care,

Louise

I read that at birth they are around 100 grams, then at weaning age aprrox 1 month old around 200 grams, then for females at breeding age around 3 months old they will be around 500 grams. The weight is quite variable though, so it might not be accurate to tell teh age this way.

Haha. yeah there are a couple on here who are like him and I thought he was a one off dolly! :-D

There is no 100% way6 to tell a piggies age.The only indicator is the nails.Babies and youngsters have thin sharp nails.As the pigs age the nails get thicker.Elderly pigs can have very thick nails.

Lol and I thought my piggie was pretty unique in color. Any pics of Twinkle? By the way I'm also trying to figure out the real ages of my pigs... they are 260 grams and should be 2 months old now if the petshop gave the right info, but 260 grams seems light for 2 month olds, they might be younger than that.

Here's Twinkle :)

IMG_1195.jpg

There are more of him in the gallery, he is almost 5 months now!

Louise
x

Lol they look similar but my Eevee has a "star" on her head and a bit of white on her nose too. I thought of naming her after a star at first too.

103122.jpg

Aww shes lovely! Very similar colourings although Twinkle is mostly white! What breed is Eevee?

Well, the pet shop sold her as an Aby, but no idea if she is a cross breed. According to some websites on GP colorings I think her color is called roan because of the mix color fur. I saw some pics of your twinkle in the gallary and you said he is peruvian mix aby right?

Yeah we've come to the conclusion he is a Abruvian/Peruvian. He has the face of a Peruvian and the eyes and ears, there isn't much Aby in him only that his fur hasn't grown except for at the back!

jyrenze said:
Lol and I thought my piggie was pretty unique in color. Any pics of Twinkle? By the way I'm also trying to figure out the real ages of my pigs... they are 260 grams and should be 2 months old now if the petshop gave the right info, but 260 grams seems light for 2 month olds, they might be younger than that.

My girls are 7 weeks old and one of them weighs 425 grams and the other 396 grams they are quite chunky compared to some others i have seen. :)

Thanks for the advice everyone. Twinkle is beautiful! :D

I bought two babies from Pets at Home and in my excitement forgot to ask their exact age. Does anyone know how many weeks old Pets at Home take the babies from the breeders, so that I may get a rough idea how old my babies are.

CAM said:
Thanks for the advice everyone. Twinkle is beautiful! :D

I bought two babies from Pets at Home and in my excitement forgot to ask their exact age. Does anyone know how many weeks old Pets at Home take the babies from the breeders, so that I may get a rough idea how old my babies are.
One of my friends got some from Pets at Home and they were 9 weeks. Not sure if thats how old they all are once taken from a breeder. Some of them look quite big in the pet shops. Have u weighed them?

No I haven't weighed them all yet but I will do tomorrow. The first 2 (Blossom & Winnie) I had from Pets at Home were larger than the second 2 I bought (Daisy & Honey) who were very young guineas.

P@H told me they only re-home from 10 weeks, although that isn't to be trusted. I would imagine my boys where around 10 weeks when I got them as I've looked at similar weights and ages for their breed time and they match within reason :)

Louise
:)

P@H told me they usually get them from the breeder around 6-8 weeks depending on their weights and mine had only been there 2 days so i sort of said they were 7 weeks lol, could be a week either way! i have a feeling they were on the older side though because i've seen pics of 6week old babies and mine were bigger! hope that helps, from what others have said i'd assume they were around 8-9 weeks if i were you!
Love Emma x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back