age gap

• Thread starter Thread starter Deleted member 149086
  • Start date Start date
D

Deleted member 149086

Hello!
So I was thinking of getting my father (thanks to this website I'm able to provide enough evidence :) )to approve a second piggie, from PetSmart, etc and I was wondering if age gaps matter. Most of the male pigs from petsmart are a few months and my pig mocha is turning 1 this year.

Age doesn’t matter but character compatibility does - two piggies have to like each other to be able to form a bond.
However, a younger piggy is often accepted by the resident piggy because a younger piggy cannot challenge for dominance. The benefit also is that if there is an age gap, then they will not be going through the big teenage hormone spikes at the same time.
Do you know exactly how old your piggy is? As he under 14 months of age ,then he is still a teenager himself.

The safest way to find a new friend for your piggy is by going to a rescue centre and adopting a new piggy rather than buying from a pet shop, if you have a rescue nearby. They can sometimes help ensure the two piggies have compatibility before you commit. If you buy a piggy and they do not get on, then its wise to keep a plan b in mind that they will need to live in separate but side by side cages.
If you do have to buy a piggy, then there are a few things to keep in mind and ensure you have prepared for a boar pair
You cannot quarantine the new piggy as they are likely under four months of age and piggies under that age need interaction immediately.
You must also check the sex of the new piggy yourself so you can be certain that you are getting a male to go with your existing male.
Space - two boars together need a large cage measuring 180x60cm (150x60cm as a minimum) as they are more territorial and lack of space can cause problems.

There is also the bonding procedure which you need to follow to introduce them to each other. You cannot just put the new piggy into Mocha’s cage as that will be seen as a territory invasion and cause a fight. The introduction must be on neutral territory.
The guides below explain more about the bonding procedure and boar pairs

Bonding and Interaction: Illustrated social behaviours and bonding dynamics

A Comprehensive Guide to Guinea Pig Boars
Boars: Teenage, Bullying, Fighting, Fall-outs And What Next?
Dominance Behaviours In Guinea Pigs

A Closer Look At Pairs (Boars - Sows - Mixed)
Journey through a Lifetime: The Ages of Guinea Pigs

:agr:

Lots of excellent advice above I just wanted to say a huge well done for convincing your Dad to let you get a second piggy.

Honestly it is such a wonderful thing to do for your current boy, and you won't believe the difference when he has a friend.

Age doesn’t matter but character compatibility does - two piggies have to like each other to be able to form a bond.
However, a younger piggy is often accepted by the resident piggy because a younger piggy cannot challenge for dominance. The benefit also is that if there is an age gap, then they will not be going through the big teenage hormone spikes at the same time.
Do you know exactly how old your piggy is? As he under 14 months of age ,then he is still a teenager himself.

The safest way to find a new friend for your piggy is by going to a rescue centre and adopting a new piggy rather than buying from a pet shop, if you have a rescue nearby. They can sometimes help ensure the two piggies have compatibility before you commit. If you buy a piggy and they do not get on, then its wise to keep a plan b in mind that they will need to live in separate but side by side cages.
If you do have to buy a piggy, then there are a few things to keep in mind and ensure you have prepared for a boar pair
You cannot quarantine the new piggy as they are likely under four months of age and piggies under that age need interaction immediately.
You must also check the sex of the new piggy yourself so you can be certain that you are getting a male to go with your existing male.
Space - two boars together need a large cage measuring 180x60cm (150x60cm as a minimum) as they are more territorial and lack of space can cause problems.

There is also the bonding procedure which you need to follow to introduce them to each other. You cannot just put the new piggy into Mocha’s cage as that will be seen as a territory invasion and cause a fight. The introduction must be on neutral territory.
The guides below explain more about the bonding procedure and boar pairs

Bonding and Interaction: Illustrated social behaviours and bonding dynamics

A Comprehensive Guide to Guinea Pig Boars
Boars: Teenage, Bullying, Fighting, Fall-outs And What Next?
Dominance Behaviours In Guinea Pigs

A Closer Look At Pairs (Boars - Sows - Mixed)
Journey through a Lifetime: The Ages of Guinea Pigs
We do have a rescue nearby but they're only common pets like cats and dogs, so the only place I can get them is in pet shops, or drive far to an actual guinea pig rescue center. I got a beginner cage (which I regret buying) and he's growing out of it, so I'm getting him a floor cage that's gonna be big enough for 1 or 2 pigs. Thank you for your advice! :)

Hi

Could you please replace your location with just your US state - for your own protection and to help us since this forum is based in the UK and not in your country. Please be aware that we are a public place and not a closed social media group.
You do that by clicking on your username on the top bar, go to account details and down to location.

There is unfortunately not much in the way of good rescues in your wider area as far as I can see (we have more private non-kill rescues of good welfare standard over here, hence the advice); so the best way is to opt for a baby boar. There is a rescue in Atlanta, but that is likely too far a stretch in view of your dad's opposition.
If you have to use a shop, look for a follower and not for a frontrunner as you are more likely to end up with a submissive youngster.
You will find information on boar companionship, what to look out for depending on where you are getting guinea pigs from, detailed bonding and settling in advice via this information collection here: Getting Started - Essential Information for New Owners

We do have a rescue nearby but they're only common pets like cats and dogs, so the only place I can get them is in pet shops, or drive far to an actual guinea pig rescue center. I got a beginner cage (which I regret buying) and he's growing out of it, so I'm getting him a floor cage that's gonna be big enough for 1 or 2 pigs. Thank you for your advice! :)

You will need to make sure the new cage is big enough for two boars - 180x60cm - otherwise two boars can run into problems if the cage is any smaller than that. Lack of space can cause tensions which can cause them to fight. If that happens, they would need to be permanently separated.

Cage Size Guide

You will need to make sure the new cage is big enough for two boars - 180x60cm - otherwise two boars can run into problems if the cage is any smaller than that. Lack of space can cause tensions which can cause them to fight. If that happens, they would need to be permanently separated.

Cage Size Guide
ah i see! Thank you.

Back