After some advice

Nathan atkin

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi I have 2 male gu8nea pigs that have grown up together recently they had a fight so I split them up is there anyway I could reintroduce them back together

I’m sorry to hear this.

If they have had a full on fight, then sadly no, they are not going to want to go back together again. A fight usually occurs when a bond breaks down and the piggies decide they don’t like each other any more, so if you were to try to reintroduce, then it’s likely a fight would break out again.

It may help us to know a bit more about the situation if it wasn’t a full on fight though

how old are they?
how big is their cage?
Do you have multiple of every item in the cage?
Do all hides have two exits?

Bonds In Trouble
Boars: Teenage, Bullying, Fighting, Fall-outs And What Next?

They are teenage age they had a medium size cage with a play pen attached I did have 2 females and as I am due to be moving house my mum is look9ng after the females till I'm moved as it is bit of a long way to travel the males are registered with my mental health team as my support animals the fight broke out a week after the females left so I didn't know if that caused the fight when I had all 4 together they got on fine but I don't think that was the cause.

What age actually are they?
Were all four actually in the same cage?
Keeping two neutered males with two females would cause huge problems. You can only ever keep one neutered boar with any number of sows. Two boars with sows will not work out long term. So yes it is likely them having been around sows has caused the problem.
Equally, Once the sows were removed, the boys would have gone into a period of establishing as a pair but having been in the presence of sows and then going to a boar pair will be seen as a demotion in status. Boars don’t take kindly to that and once a boar has lived with a sow, he may never want to live with a boar again in the future
As I say, if it was a full on fight then bonding them back again, particularly if they are going to be put back in the presence of sows would not work. A bonded pair of boars always needs to be kept well away from a sow pair and never in the same cage.

I assume if both the boys were in the same cage as the sows, then the boys are neutered?

if so, and the boys bond is broken, then you will need two separate cages (150x60cm is needed for a neutered boar/sow pair) and you can then bond each boar with one of sows to live as two separate pairs going forward

Back