• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

advice

• Thread starter Thread starter tawny
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

tawny

while shea was pregnant she was showing signs of mites but the vet told me she couldn't be treated :-\

well as some of you know she now has 3 4day old babies who she is feeding.

on her side near her belly she has quite an itchy looking rash still and now a sore looking eyelid. she is eating well and doing a great job with the babes.

can i treat her with ivermectin now? i have some here at home was just worried about using it after what the vet said. has any body used it on a pregnant sow or one that's nursing?

have checked her eye and can't see any damage or anything in the eye but it does look like she has scrathed the eye lid with her nails.

any advice.

both Honey and Angel had Iver when we didnt know they were pregnant and it didnt do them any harm,I dunno though :-\

the vet said not to while pregnant but now she's had them she could infect the babies :( and she looks sore but i don't want to harm the young one's she is feeding. the vet wasn't helpful apart from going to look it up in a book. so hard to know what to do.

maybe call your vet and ask for advise, then call a different vet and ask them... id check around maybe. Hope she gets feeling better soon :)

Ivermectin is safe to give to pregnant sows,but not to lactating sows until the babies are 3 weeks old.You could use Kamilosan cream on the sores,this is soothing and will not harm the babies if they lick it. Mary

thanx for advice ;) her eye got worse the other day but now is not so red after me using cream i had from the vets but I'm not happy with it still.

i gave it a few days one to see how it would clear and 2 because i didn't wanna upset her by taking her away from the babies while i take her to the vets.

i was putting some cream on her sore last night and carefully turned her on to her back and could see another couple of sores on her belly.

so today she is going to the vets when i get in from work :( she seems fine but i can see the sore is irritating her and I'm not standing by and seeing her suffer.

will the babies be ok left alone for an hour while i take her to vets?

Hi Tawny, Sorry ,I have only just read your message.How did you get on at the vets?.Sows can sometimes get hair loss and itchy areas due to hormone inbalance.this will right itself once the babes are weaned. Mary

Hormonal hair loss is usually just that - hair loss. It doesn't normally cause skin irritation/sores. I don't know about ivermectin and nursing females but would check that with the vet. Perhaps if you drop an email to Chrissie at Gorgeous Guineas she might be able to come up with something to soothe if you aren't allowed to administer ivermectin while the babies are still feeding.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back