• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

advice

• Thread starter Thread starter oveione
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
O

oveione

hi went to the vets today just to get my guineas a general check up they are all fit and healthy the vet suggested having the two boys castarated so they could then live with one of the girls each just wanted some advice or a website i could look at to find out some more info by the way the vets have done lots of castarations thanks.

thay said the risks are very low if they are fit and healthy just wanted to know if anyones else has had theirs done and what the recovery was like.

Your set up sounds fine as it is,why change it?. I do not believe in castration just so that you can put the boar with a sow.Boars are quite happy with another boar,and often are very happy on their own as a house pig.

Neutering is putting healthy pigs through unnecessary surgery which carries a lot of risks.I am sure you would not want your boys to go through what Bertie did.There have been a lot of tragedies on this forum after neutering.

Yes,neutering can be sucessful but I would not take the chance.

I agree with mary, if your boys get on leave them be, as bertie's case shows, they don't all have easy recoverys. On saying that one of mine in neutered (i couldn't give any advice because he had it done at the rescue) and he's fine in terms of that now, it's been about 7 weeks so it's your choice but i personally wouldn't do it x

maryh said:
Your set up sounds fine as it is,why change it?. I do not believe in castration just so that you can put the boar with a sow.Boars are quite happy with another boar,and often are very happy on their own as a house pig.

Neutering is putting healthy pigs through unnecessary surgery which carries a lot of risks.I am sure you would not want your boys to go through what Bertie did.There have been a lot of tragedies on this forum after neutering.

Yes,neutering can be sucessful but I would not take the chance.
couldnt agree more :D

Nope, I wouldn't and don't do it to boars that are paired up. I do have single boars castrated because I don't believe in them spending half their life in rescue waiting for a friend or someone that will have a boar :)

In your case there's no need and there are lots of considerations to be taken into re the op itself. Method of castration, pain killers, aneasthetics all have to be right. :)

I asked my vet about it as I have two boars and she advised against it unless there was no other option, she is of the opinion that there is little benefit to the piggies for so big a risk.

thanks for replys my boys live seperately they are in a two tier hutch one at the top the other at the bottom and the girls live in one at the top of the boys hutch i have decided not to get them castarated as they are both happy piggies can hear and smell the others and get loads of hugs and popcorn quite a bit so they are happy in my opinion after reading berties post and the other one about the poor piggie with bladder stones who sadly died i am not willing to take the risk.

I think you've made the right decision, as long as your piggies are happy :) nobody mentioned that if you did do it you would have twice the worry having both done, it would be so stressful! x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back