Advice with lining hay areas

Jen19

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Ive ordered some hay keepers - what do people line these (and trays) with underneath the hay? I'm currently using newspaper but I'm sure there are better options out there. I know you can purchase the fleece liners, which I use for the main section of the cage its just the trays and hay keepers I need advice with.
Thank you!

:wel:

If you are using hay tray then you can line it with anything absorbent - newspaper, puppy pad, disposable bedding such as shavings - and then throw the hay loose on top of it so they can still forage and play in the hay

We line them with a couple of sheets of newspaper and then a layer of wood pellet cat litter. It's very good for absorbing pee and extremely good at keeping odours down.

We also put a towel under they hay trays as they like to sit in the tray and pee over the edge! If you've got an absorbent liner in the cage anyway, this might not be necessary.

We use gardeners potting trays as these have one side cut out which is great for the piggies. I buy them from Amazon so I'm sure that you can get them in the US too. We line them with a puppy pad and then newspaper before adding the hay.

Mine is just a good sized cat litter tray. No cut outs as my boys are athletic. I use wood shavings under the hay

We use 12" square plastic saucers for going under plant pots. They fit really neatly in the C&C cage and are very tough - not chewable. For some weird reason when I googled them a lot of the sellers were suppliers for the cultivation of, let's say, happy grass - not sure why that is but they work very well as hay trays!

I have a thing called a Hayzee which works ok. I fold a towel up and put it in a pillowcase and line it with that. I can’t use loose bedding, was not willing to use extremely un-environmentally friendly puppy pads and found that when using a little 1x2 fleece cage liner all of the hay would stick to the fleece.
I bought towels and pillowcases from charity shops and use those, I think it works quite well as they can be separated for washing, can be washed at higher temperatures than fleece, can be tumble dried and the hay only comes into contact with the outside of the pillowcase which can be turned inside out so all of the leftover hay/hair gets caught in the corners and can be removed in a clump after drying.

Newspaper and paper bedding underneath the hay in the hay area.

Back