• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

advice please =(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quavers

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Roo's loosing weight 3 weeks ago he was just over 800g and is now just below 750g he is looking quite slim but not boney yet, hes had two dentals in 4 weeks and seems to be choking on his food and water all the time, is there anything i can do to help him put on weight I'm already seringe feeding him but he lets me know when hes had enough when he starts spitting it out the other side of his mouth :(

Has his mouth been checked for ulcers?.These can be caused by spurs on the molars.Ulcers are fairly common in pigs with recurring dental problems.I used to use Daktarin gel to sooth the mouth after dentals,but I now use a Neem toothpaste from GG.The toothpaste can be put on a cotton bud and rubbed round the inside of the mouth.This product has recently cleared a deep mouth ulcer which one of my sows had.

i dont think his mouth has been looked at for ulcers will make an appointment and get that checked thank you O0 i was scared thinking that i was goingt o have to get him pts or something :'(

Well worth getting the mouth checked thoroughly.My piggy with the ulcer also had trouble swallowing but as soon as the ulcer started to heal she was able to eat normally.
Poppy`s ulcer was very far back in the mouth so your vet will have to look very carefully.

It is possible that your piggy still has a spur that is digging into the soft flesh.

Mary i totally agree with you.... these dam toofies can cause spurs >:( >:( >:( and they can be tricky to pickup on :-\ :-\

Get another checkup love O0 O0 O0

and do some hand feeds and monitor as much as you can... extra water and hay and pellets for the essentials and whatever fav veggies i'd give those as well. We must keep them eating regularly :) :)

hes at the vets at 5 today, hes now refusing all food :'(

been to the vets was told that Roo's bowel is empty, he also needs another dental and his mouth is clogged up with food again :'( he was given 2 injections a vitamin one and one to get his appitite going hes back on Monday for another dental and they will have a look to see if theres any ulcers as well.

Poppy kept getting her mouth jammed with food when she had her ulcer.I had to clean it out several times a day.Contact Chrissie at GG and ask her to send you a tube of the Neem toothpaste asap.This realy did help Poppy.

Out of curiosity, a lot of pigs spit out food they're being syringe fed if the syringe is too big and/or you're not putting it back far enough. It needs to go as far back as the molars. Perhaps a painkiller might help him too? Would maybe speak to the vet about that, too. Being sore really puts them off food.

You may be doing this already,but when you are feeding him,give some water after 2 mouthfuls of food.This will help to make the swallowing easier.When you finish feeding,swoosh some water froma syringe across the mouth,over the tongue.This will help to remove stuck food.You could also genyly feel around with a cotton bud for any debris.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back