Advice please re my newly aquired piggy!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hi all, this looks like a friendly board who won't mind answering my questions! I confess to not knowing much about piggys except what I have researched on the web. Basically, I have aquired a male guinea pig that somebody had not treated well. He was left in his hutch all the time in a back bedroom and didn't seem to have been handled much, if at all. He appears healthy, is 6 months old and is semi long haired. I am in the process of finding a suitable vet to check him over. I am reasonably sure he has not been neutered as he was a lone piggy. Naturally, he is very very timid and I am settling him in slowly. I have read that piggies do much better if they have a companion, but I am unsure if this will upset him more and also, if he hasn't been neutered, how will it go if I get a neutered female (say from a resue home). Will he still try to erm annoy her? Any advice on settling him in etc would be much appreciated!
Fiona

Aw, poor little guy. I am a newbie too but I've heard that piggies are happier with a companion - we have just got a rescue boar for our boar Tiger and trying to bond them at the mo... I think he'd feel more secure with a female maybe? The others will be able to tell you better than me!

Wel done on giving him a home! Whats his name? Any pics?!

Neutered girls can be quite hard to find i'm afraid... The Barmy4boars website has some good pairing tips. And as for will he still annoy her... Yes! for a couple of weeks till he sees she not interested, and then only now and then :)

Welcome to the forum :)

Bev x x

Oh thanks guys! His name is Lennie and I have not managed to take photos yet as when he comes out, he runs either behind the chair, under the couch or under the table and pretty much stays there. I am a bit worried about getting a boar as a companion as they may fight etc. But I shall wait a while till he is settled. Any advice on their favourite veggies would be good too. I have given him cauliflower leaves, cucumber, some apple, some green pepper and celery so far and shall get some more things when I go shopping today. Is it true about ice berg lettuce, that it is toxic for them? Also, can I pick grass and danelion leaves to give him? Also, I think the hutch he came in is too small. It is about 3ft long and not in very good nick, I have seen these double storey ones with a ramp on the web, may get one of those for him-what do you think? phew-sorry so many questions!

Hi, I had the same experience recently, got my boar from a friend who igtotally ignored him and never handled him. He was very nervy and skittish but I used to get him out for floortime, sit with him to get him used to me and bribe him with veg - cucumber, carrot, green pepper and less frequently, dandelion leaves, parsely broccoli and cabbage - and after just a few weeks he'd come over and sit on my lap :)

I then got another boar, from another friend who'd neglected him and not handled him, about the same age, 1 year, and placed their P&H cages side-by-side for a couple of days. I handled him daily to get him used to me.

I introduced them at floortime and it went really well, one is really laid back and one a bit more feisty, so I think their personalities gelled, as Bev said check out barmy4boars for intro tips. I then built a C&C cage (you can find out how to make a cage like mine on www.guineapigcages.com), 2 grids by 5 grids, and in they went and I kept an eye on them. They have lived happily together now for 3 months and are very different piggies, happy as larry :smitten:

Thats really interesting about the two males getting on so well-are they both neutered? Maybe I could get another male...Lennie half climbed on my lap this morning to eat his dandelion leaves, he seemed to love them. I have read that too many rich greens could give him an upset tummy so I will use them sparingly!

Yes, boars certainly can get on, and sometimes form very close and happy friendships. Neutering will not make any difference because it does not change the boar's personality.
If you are thinking of getting another boar, and you also want to get a bigger, better cage for Lennie, then make sure the new cage is big enough for two - minimum 1.4m long - but keep the old one as well, as you will need to keep the two pigs in separate cages until they are used to each other.
Our Rupert (Roo) was very nervous and skittish when we first got him, but has settled really well with our older, laid-back Sammy. Roo is quite a feisty boy, and I suspect if he was placed with another feisty boar there might be trouble, but Sam just used to ignore all the rumblestrutting and go on eating ;D so Roo stopped bothering.

No, Lavenderjade, neither are neutered, but I think I am lucky that one is very laid back and so even though Pudding, the feisty little rascal, rumbles a bit, Pie just ignores him and never challenges him. Despite this, Pie isn't bullied at all and they both get on great, the changes I have seen in Pie have been amazing and they both sweak and wheek and popcorn :)

If you go to a rescue, I'm sure they could recommend a younger male to go with Lenny, perhaps try and make a compatible pairing. What's Lenny like? Pudding, even with a start in life where he was ignored, was naturally very ballsy and you could tell that straight away.

Hello, I had the same experience last year when I acquired Hurley at 6 months of age. He had been kept in a tiny cage along with a rabbit who was much larger than him, and consequently he was extremely timid and not hand-tame at all. His confidence soon increased from running away as soon as we moved to running out to investigate us! Soon he was eating food from our hands, although it's taking a lot longer to get him used to being touched or stroked.

We got him a friend after just a few days, but as she was unneutered we had to get him neutered then wait six weeks before putting them together. I have read somewhere that neutering a male pig does very little to calm them down hormonally, but obviously it stops piggie pregnancies so is a very good thing to do! He harrassed Starla (RIP) constantly for a few days, likewise Rikku and Ifalna when we "added" them to create a group of four last year. Ifalna would spray him with a bit of wee when he got really annoying! He soon got the idea and they all quickly settled and became best friends.

I'd say that getting them a friend increases their confidence, as will spending a lot of time just "being" with them. Food gets you a long way - try laying a trail of little treats getting closer to where you're sitting still, and allow them to approach you as you talk gently to them - they'll get used to you. Just do everything on the piggie's terms and everything will be fine. You'll be amazed how quickly they open up to you!

AMETHYST

Thanks to you all for your very useful comments. Lennie doesn't seem ballsy at all, quite timid in fact. He is running around now but runs for cover at the slightest noise or if I move. He is only about 6 months old I was told but he is quite a large fellow and I do want to get him a bigger hutch or pen, big enough for two incase I do get him a friend! He makes a mweeping noise sometimes, does that mean he is happy? it sounds like a happy noise and sometimes he goes a bit mad and runs really fast all over the place before hiding again. He really is a cute thing and I think piggies are quite addictive. :D

Be warned pigs are very addictive ;D

If I were you I'd look for a baby boar to try to bond with him if you aren't going to neuter him. Whereabouts are you - maybe someone can point you in the direction of a rescue. Otherwise you could get him neutered - a neutered male with one or two females is supposed to be the best sort of bond, I've heard, but tbh the cost of neutering has put me off as I have two single boars and have been quoted £50 each :o although in other areas it's cheaper.

I am in Kingston Upon Thames, Surrey (UK!). There are a couple of resue centres nearish to me so will enquire there in a while when he is a bit more settled and had a check over by a vet. I am having problems finding a vet that sees a lot of cavies, as I want one that knows his stuff. I have not handled him yet as I don't want to scare him, I let him come to me for his treats and when I am sitting on the floor, he is happy to run near me and he sniffs my hand so... slowly slowly. He needs his nails cutting, they are not too bad but I want a vet to show me how it is done and I cant do it until I can handle him! On the subject of food...what sort of quantity of fresh stuff should I give him a day? Today he has had 3 dandelion leaves, a chunk of cucumber, a cauliflower leaf and a piece of red bell pepper. Is this enough along with his dried mix and hay? I know these questons probably seem silly but I really don't know! :-\

kayjay said:
but tbh the cost of neutering has put me off as I have two single boars and have been quoted £50 each :o although in other areas it's cheaper.

That's actually fairly normal! I don't want to sound funny but that's the sort of money I'd expect to pay for surgery involving a general anaesthetic, the painkillers they give etc. :) I think it's definitely worth it to help them bond and give them a social life!

Hurley's op cost about £60 including VAT, and he got a relatively stress-free operation along with a painkilling injection which lasted 24 hours, and dissolvable stitches so he didn't have to go back to have stitches removed. O0

Amethyst said:
kayjay said:
but tbh the cost of neutering has put me off as I have two single boars and have been quoted £50 each :o although in other areas it's cheaper.

That's actually fairly normal! I don't want to sound funny but that's the sort of money I'd expect to pay for surgery involving a general anaesthetic, the painkillers they give etc. :) I think it's definitely worth it to help them bond and give them a social life!

Hurley's op cost about £60 including VAT, and he got a relatively stress-free operation along with a painkilling injection which lasted 24 hours, and dissolvable stitches so he didn't have to go back to have stitches removed. O0

Well I was shocked at the price of my buns spay, £70 when a cat is much cheaper although the vet explained it was due to the high amount of drugs necessary to keep the rabbit alive. However I considered the spay a necessity on health grounds but neutering guineapigs isn't necessary and I really can't justify £100 plus on neutering two guineapigs, I wish I had the money spare but I don't :(

kayjay said:
Amethyst said:
kayjay said:

Well I was shocked at the price of my buns spay, £70 when a cat is much cheaper although the vet explained it was due to the high amount of drugs necessary to keep the rabbit alive. However I considered the spay a necessity on health grounds but neutering guineapigs isn't necessary and I really can't justify £100 plus on neutering two guineapigs, I wish I had the money spare but I don't :(

Yeah I do see where you're coming from. It's expensive but like you say, there's a lot more involved in keeping a rabbit or gp alive during an op than say a cat or a dog. In bunnies it's necessary but again as you say in piggies it's not. I guess my point was that for me, it was worth getting Hurley done, as he can now run around with girly piggies without getting them pregnant, and I had been told that putting him with girls would be much more likely to be a success than putting him with boys. :)

I had my boar neutered yesterday and he is recovering well. I already had my sows when we got Rimmer. I had decided to get him done before he came here. I could of put him in his own hutch with a mesh divider so he could see the sows but he would of been a frustrated piggie not being able to cuddle up with them. To me that would be torture to thier animal instinct. I knew the risk I was taking but thought whats kinder live a lonely life or a happy life with friends. I am sure if more boars where neutered the rescues would not be as full as they are.

I think I would be nervous putting Lennie through that operation, so I will probably get him a boar friend and hope they get on! I have had Lennie for 3 days now and he seems to be settling in well. He is keen to run straight out of his hutch and explore and comes to me now but still skitters off if I try to stroke him. I put some plain brown cardboard boxes down and cut a doorway out so he can run in and out of them and he loves this but eats them as well! is this ok do you think? Also going to be purchasing a new hutch soon and want one big enough for 2 piggies, so any recommendations of the best type of hutch welcome! Going to try and get some good pics of him to to introduce him to you all... ;D

Hi Lavenderjade,

I'm from Kingston originally, (my mum still lives there I'm now in Esher) and the best rescue near you is ARC in Twickenham. The best vets in the whole area is O'Meara's in Ewell, Chessington and Epsom you'll find that Anne or Andy are both great with piggies, I've tried a lot over the years and have finally now found a good one!

www.animalrescueandcare.org.

www.omearavets.co.uk

Hope these help!

Sue

[/quote]

I spent 60 on gizmos and i got pain killer drops to give him everyday. He had the op on thursday but the worry and stress i've had incase it went wrong.I didn't sleep properly the first two nights as any noise he mage i was watchin him checkin he's ok (his cage is in my bedroom) and each morning i kept thinkin i would wake up and he would of died in his sleep although touch wood he's been fine.I know i'll know its worth it when i see him happy and popcorning with his new sow :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back