Advice Please? (piggy Babysitting)

Status
Not open for further replies.

allyhari

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I'm looking for some advice if someone would be kind enough- currently babysitting two lovely pigs who I have in the kitchen (playpen during the day, "normal" size cage at night)
I took in an emergency foster dog today and, not to put too fine a point on it, he wants to eat the guineas soooo bad.
I have nowhere else in the house to keep them and was wondering if I could possibly put them in my garage for the last few days I have them? It's block-built, clear plastic skylights so same light as being outdoors, it is totally sealed but no heating at all. The forecast for the next few days looks alright. Or I was thinking maybe have their playpen out there for during the day and bring them back in at night and just lock the kitchen door. I'm well aware it's unfair on them (they are indoor pigs) but I'm also worried the dog will give them a heart attack (or much worse)
He was an emergency foster case so I didn't want to turn him down.
So has anyone any thoughts or advice? Will they be ok (temperature wise) in the garage or should I just leave them full-time in the kitchen and pray nothing happens?
Many thanks for any input!

Hello! Dogs and guinea pigs don't mix so it is important to keep them away. Could you possibly keep the dog out of the kitchen? If not, how cold/hot is your garage?

I think if you provide enough hay for them to snuggle in and some nice fleece blankets they should be OK in the garage.
Would be awful if the dog were to get them.
Alternatively could you maybe lock them in your bedroom?

Hello and welcome to the Forum
:wel:

It would help to know roughly what part of the world you live in, and also an idea of the sort of nighttime temps you are getting at the moment.
Is the garage ever used for a car or motorbike? If so the piggies can't go in there, as the fumes from the exhaust can be very dangerous to them.

To be totally honest if you agreed to look after them for someone then I do think it is unfair to suddenly put them into the garage when they aren't used to it, and you made the commitment to have them inside.
What about putting the dog in the garage? You could make a large bed with lots of blankets, and bring her inside at night when the guinea pigs are locked in the kitchen.

I know it is probably a huge pain, but would it be possible to keep the kitchen door locked for the next couple of days, if the dog has t be inside?
You are right to be cautious - as a previous owner of very large, very high prey drive dogs, I fully understand how focused they can be.

Good luck with managing the menagerie!

If you can lock the kitchen door over night I think I'd suggest keeping them in their cage (lidded?) and locking the door in the day too. It will be inconvenient but for a couple of days, do-able.

I too would be unimpressed at my babies being put in the garage without me having the opportunity to say no. And I wouldn't be ever so happy at having to decide on the hop whilst away, I'd probably say yes through guilt and resent it.

Thanks everyone for your input. Youre right that it wouldn't be fair/nice on the owners either. I'm in Ireland, in the midlands. I do have a (very small) back hall so maybe I could have them locked in the kitchen during the day and then in the back hall in their smaller cage for night/main feeding times. There's a radiator so it's the same temperature as the kitchen. I'm just mindful of them being worried/alarmed if they even were to hear the dog. It's a scary thing when you're a weeny piggy, I'm sure!

I have an 11week old puppy who barks at my pigs whenever they are inside. I wouldn't leave a dog alone with guinea pigs if I wasn't there to supervise. Maybe a baby gate could be put up in the kitchen so the dog couldn't get in? (If the dog couldn't get over of course)

Hi answer welcome
You were right to consult everyone about this problem. Even though the dog may scare you piggies it will definitely not give them a heart attack. My pig has heard dogs barking many times and is still living well, also keeping them in a garage with no heat will possibly give them phenomena. Could you possibly keep them in a warm bathroom or maybe on a night surface in the kitchen?

Hello! Dogs and guinea pigs don't mix so it is important to keep them away. Could you possibly keep the dog out of the kitchen? If not, how cold/hot is your garage?
Wait! Don't put a guinea pig in the garage!

Fumes from a car could kill a guinea pig! If you don't keep a car in the garage, there are other things in most garages that are lethal to little cavies!

PLUS! My guinea pig and dog get along just fine. They are like BFFs!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back