• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Advice:pigs are poorly

• Thread starter Thread starter freckles
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
F

freckles

Hi
New here as I don't have guinea pigs myself but since yesterday have taken charge of neighbours two piggies whilst they are on holiday.(Long story but there wasn't a handover as we got stuck coming home with the M25 closure on Friday)
One g pig is loosing fur and has very bad skin (in my humble opinion must be parasites) nails are very long.. I could go on. I cannot get hold of owners but I cannot ignore the state of these two little creatures. Would you agree I should take them to the vets first thing tomorrow (I have cats, dog and rabbits so they know me well) and is there anything I can do to relieve them overnight?
Sorry to sound thick but I am sure one of you can advise.
Thanks

Kamilosan or other gentle cream will relieve the skin. Is it dry and flaky? Are there scratch marks? See Gorgeous Guineas for skincare products, but get some gentle cream on it first. Palmers do a lotion thats good too. I'm tempted to say bath them too but I'll leave that up to you- definitely the cream.

Does dead skin come out on the end of the hair? If so its fungal.

Hi does sound like mites or lice from what i know of them, can you see anything in their fur, if so it's probably lice as mites are not visible, thinning fur and dry skin are signs of mites i think, don't worry the piggies won't be in terrible pain but i'd say you are probably best going to the vets and they'll give a couple of treatments for the mites and maybe trim the nails for you, it won't cost much but they will have one treatment tomorrow and the second in 7-10 ish days and maybe another after that depending on how bad the case is, the vet should be able to tell for u. there are certain creams and shampoos available from www.gorgeousguineas.com that can also do the job but as you only have them for a week or so i'd say the vets is your best bet just to get them sorted out as quick as possible, I'd advise keeping them away from your own animals too just until you know what it is. sorry i couldn't be any more help i'm sure someone more experienced will be on here to help soon, good luck looking after them O0 I'm sure they'll be fine!
Emma x

Thanks guys. I am trying to keep them on 24 hr watch . It is such a responsibility with someone else's animals. I have done a internet search and I am confused between fungal or parasitic... basically the poor thing is scratching (second guinea is too but not so much) and her rump is very pink, scaly and the fur is coming out by the root- and yes has dry skin on it.She has scratched away two definite lines down her back which are bald and the skin looks very sore. I cannot see any parasites but don;t want to handle too much and cause stress, especially if I am off to the vets in the morning anyway.I have kamillosan, is that safe even tho I don't know problem yet?Have managed ro trach down a relative of theirs to see if they will OK it for me to take to the vets, so at least I have permission.
Wish tomorrow would come quicker!

Sounds fungal to me.Kamilosan is very safe,can even be used on nursing sows.GGs melts ans shampoos will get rid of the fungus.I also reccomend the GG Lavender aand Myrrh lotion which is good to use on fungal patches between shampoos.If the skin is very dry and flaky a good quality olive oil will soften the skin and help mstop the irritation.

Could you not cut the nails yourself>If you do use a vet,do not let him/her do a skin scrape .These are an expensive waste of time.Not pleasant for the piggy either.

Thanks I am going to cut nails tonight as I am used to doing the rabbits and dog! and will apply Kamillosan too. Good sign is they are both eating loads.I expected them to squeak a lot and they are silent- that's what I remember from when I had guineas when I was a teenager.
Thanks for the advice Mary about skin scrape!I have an excellent vet and I know they will be sympathetic as these are not my pets but will just help me over this next week until te owners are back.
Nice to meet you all - I was in a panic.

Hi & welcome Freckles :)

Good luck at the vets tomorrow. Let us know how it goes O0

Glad I took them the vet said it is a very bad (neglected) case of mites and gave them an Invermectin injection each (they are both suffering and when we did a close exam one has horrible sores/wounds scabbed over on his wee body.
I intend put something on skin thoough as when I looked at the gorgeous guinea site the symptoms (you can pull hair out VERY easily) denotes it is fungal.. so maybe they have both.
At least I am getting help with them now - just have to face the owners next week!
Have put them to bed with nice cabbage leaves (I had been left some bags of lettuce scraps in fridge for them!)
Why do people have pets when they don't give them the care they require?

Thats awful, glad you were able to get them treatment :) Any idea what you will say to your neighbours? It is an awkward one :-\
Welcome to the forum :)

Aw poor piggies, they will be well in no time in your care, you did the right thing taking them to the vets, hope they're feeling better soon x

A CocoNeem Melt and some Manuka and Neem shampoo will help big time to relive the itching. Perhaps if you face the owners with 'better looking' pigs they will see the difference and that you only meant well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back