Advice On Location Please

Status
Not open for further replies.

abby

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I have just bought two 12 week old guinea pigs ( females, Pinky and Diesel) and at the moment they are in temporary housing in my conservatory as I realise the hutch I bought is not appropriate.
I am trying to decide whether to have them outside during warmer weather, and bringing them in to the garage in the winter. or having an indoor cage which would need to be housed in a hallway, right outside my 3 year olds bedroom. I know that they are social animals, and like interaction, but I am worried that my 3 year old might be too hectic and noisy for them to be around on a permanent basis.
During the day they are out for floor time anywhere between 30mins- 2 hours, with interaction during that time.( usually for the most part the kids are out during this time making it a calm environment.)
Any advice would be great, before I go ahead and choose their permanent home.
Also want to check about diet, are guinea pigs of that age ok to eat adult pellets, or should I be getting them something different.
Thanks, Abby

Hi Abby, Welcome to the forum.

As you've already got the hutch you could attach a closed run so they could run around through the day when weather is OK. Personally I'd keep them indoors most of the time. You can either get an indoor cage at least 1.2m x 0.6m in size or make a c&c run of 4x2 grids. If you don't have a cat or dog you wouldn't need a top on this & you could vary the shape to the size of your hall as long as the floor area is at least 4x2 grids so you could make it longer into a 8x2 to fit the space.

Regarding diet, just pellets rather than muesli, unlimited hay & fresh veggies twice a day. Also fresh grass but not in the winter months when there's been frosts.

Last edited:
2 sows, Pinky and Diesel (named by my 3 year old daughter)
They apparently came from the same family but one is grey and white with longish fur, and the other is half her size and is black and brown with short silky fur, so I'm not sure how they are related.
I have only had them just under a week and haven't managed to get any photos yet, they are a bit shy still!
I would like to keep them in the house, but to be honest I think they would be safer outside. I have another child of 7 and he has severe learning difficulties and has no understanding of wrong or right and could end up hurting them if he managed to get to their cage.
I had an extension done for Logan's needs just recently, so when he goes to school I let the piggies into his hall way which is about 25ft long x 8ft wide so they have plenty of room to run around inside. During the better weather I'd be out in the garden a lot too, so I don't think they'll be lonely.
anyway, thanks for the great welcome, and I'll be in touch when I get some photos.

Ok, I've just seen an indoor cage that comes on a stand with wheels. Do you think it would be too disruptive to have an indoor cage, and move it around the house at different times of the day to keep the piggies safe.

Ok, I've just seen an indoor cage that comes on a stand with wheels. Do you think it would be too disruptive to have an indoor cage, and move it around the house at different times of the day to keep the piggies safe.

No, the piggies will get used to it. I can understand your concerns about noise and access with a boisterous child.

Generally, you have much more casual interaction and often a closer relationship with indoors piggies than with outdoors piggies, but you are right and a very responsible parent to take their wellbeing and safety into consideration. If you feel that the piggies are much better off outside, then I would keep them outside; you know your children and can judge their behaviour and ability better than us. You can always bring the piggies indoors at a later stage if the conditions change.

I agree there is more interaction when they live indoors, but I had to move mine outside when I acquired a further 3, needless to say I now spend more time outside in their shed than I do in the house- at least everyone knows where to find me!

Thanks everyone... Still haven't made a decision yet... But if they were to be in a hutch, rather than a cage would you go for a two tier (115 x 57cm) or a longer single storey hutch (137 x 50cm)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back