Advice on introducing a male guinea pig to two females.

Car.nelian

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

So a little while ago, I posted a thread on here about catching a guinea pig that had been put out behind a dumpster, which resulted in me catching the lil guy!

I was originally planning on rehoming him, but I got attached. I ended up getting him neutered, and I want to introduce him to my girls, Michi and Mona. I’ve done a few introductions in the past, but all of them have been with ladies. I was just going to see if y’all had any advice for me.

Attachments

• 2D1711AA-BAF2-4465-B6C9-D9C5A4441397.webp
    2D1711AA-BAF2-4465-B6C9-D9C5A4441397.webp
    28 KB · Views: 18
The bonding process itself is no different.

How long ago was he neutered? Ensure you have waited the full six weeks since his surgery before you do the bonding to ensure he is infertile.

You will find he is likely very eager when he gets with the girls. He will need to learn how to behave and in the meantime they will likely tell him off! Only submissive sows will allow him to mount them during dominance. Otherwise they will only allow mounting when they are in season.

Bonding and Interaction: Illustrated social behaviours and bonding dynamics

The bonding process itself is no different.

How long ago was he neutered? Ensure you have waited the full six weeks since his surgery before you do the bonding to ensure he is infertile.

You will find he is likely very eager when he gets with the girls. He will need to learn how to behave and in the meantime they will likely tell him off! Only submissive sows will allow him to mount them during dominance. Otherwise they will only allow mounting when they are in season.

Bonding and Interaction: Illustrated social behaviours and bonding dynamics
He was nurtured 8 weeks ago as of last Wednesday. And thank you for the article!

Ok, guys, looks like it went well! He was very excited at first, but settled down pretty quick. The girls seem to have taken to him pretty well, but i’m gonna keep a close eye on them for the next few days. This pic was taken about half an hour into them meeting :))

Attachments

• EF25C517-5015-4FA9-BEBD-43EEB9A807E5.webp
    EF25C517-5015-4FA9-BEBD-43EEB9A807E5.webp
    100.6 KB · Views: 15
Back