• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Advice on how to administer Gabapentin

YvonneBlue

Rescue Buddy
Forum Donator 2024/25
Reaction score
My vet has prescribed Gabapentin for Peggy as her arthritis is getting worse.

I have two questions, how on earth do I cut these tiny tablets in half and how do I administer them. I have only ever given my piggies liquid meds by syringe.

My vet has prescribed Gabapentin for Peggy as her arthritis is getting worse.

I have two questions, how on earth do I cut these tiny tablets in half and how do I administer them. I have only ever given my piggies liquid meds by syringe.

Hi
You can either get a pill cutter from your local pharmacy or crush the whole tablet and then mix it with 1 or 2 ml of water so you can then split the water/medication mix and get a fairly even distribution. How little/much water you need depends on how absorbent the filler product in the tablet is.

Hi
You can either get a pill cutter from your local pharmacy or crush the whole tablet and then mix it with 1 or 2 ml of water so you can then split the water/medication mix and get a fairly even distribution. How little/much water you need depends on how absorbent the filler product in the tablet is.

I’ve always been given Gabapentin in liquid form for the piggies. Use a pill cutter and then mush up some nuggets. Draw up the nugget mix in a syringe with end cut off and then pop the half tablet into the end and syringe into the mouth.
Thank you both, hopefully she will take it without too much of struggle. I have 10 days supply for now so when we need more I will ask for the liquid.

Our method is cut with a straight knife (hope they aren’t the type of tablets that crumble!) then crush between two spoons (a teaspoon and a smaller spoon if you’ve got one) then add to a small amount of water and into a syringe to finally give!

If you wanted to ask for liquid, next time, this is the one we use. It’s the 60mg/ml

View attachment 202399
Thanks Debbie. 😃 I crushed the tablet and mixed it with just over 1ml of water and gave her half of it. Peggy was happy to take it from the syringe. I didn't even have to get her out of the cage.😃😃

Hopefully it will help with her arthritis, it is sad seeing her struggling to get around.

Thanks Debbie. 😃 I crushed the tablet and mixed it with just over 1ml of water and gave her half of it. Peggy was happy to take it from the syringe. I didn't even have to get her out of the cage.😃😃

Hopefully it will help with her arthritis, it is sad seeing her struggling to get around.
Hope this helps and she soon feels more comfy x

The whole pill thing is a pain, client turned up with 4 guineas, one had a op 5 wks prior, major weight loss, and gabbapentine tabs. Said immediately I’m not cutting pills, crushed and mixed with water and recovery food - result!
I do prefer to be told in advance if extra care required but who can resist their little faces

Attachments

• 73BCE0A8-6BC3-4D16-B7C3-7075F84A0878.webp
    73BCE0A8-6BC3-4D16-B7C3-7075F84A0878.webp
    89 KB · Views: 4
The whole pill thing is a pain, client turned up with 4 guineas, one had a op 5 wks prior, major weight loss, and gabbapentine tabs. Said immediately I’m not cutting pills, crushed and mixed with water and recovery food - result!
I do prefer to be told in advance if extra care required but who can resist their little faces

Where I board mine, there is a daily additional fee for any piggy requiring medication or syringe feeding. I think it’s only fair, given the extra time and attention it takes. Perhaps you could add it to your terms and conditions that you are notified in advance of any health issues.?

Where I board mine, there is a daily additional fee for any piggy requiring medication or syringe feeding. I think it’s only fair, given the extra time and attention it takes. Perhaps you could add it to your terms and conditions that you are notified in advance of any health issues.?
That’s interesting. I’ve never charged any extra for medicating or syringe feeding.

We now have 3 piggies on long term meds. When we board them we type up all the details, along with our vet's contact number. We do get charged a little extra for administering meds but it is definitely worth it

That’s a really good idea, thanks Vicki, it does drain your time somewhat. Always appreciate great ideas 💡 😊

I give 0.4ml, one daily.

View attachment 202483
I ordered this and Peggy has been given it for 10 days. Between this and Gabapentin i have seen a remarkable difference. Peggy now jumps into the hay tray and no longer drags her back legs at all.

One quick question for @furryfriends (TEAS), Mavis also has mild arthritis and i would like to give her this too but she is on Cystease for Sterile IC and i know this also contains Glucosamine. Can i give 4joints as well as Cystease or would this risk an overdose of Glucosamine?

I ordered this and Peggy has been given it for 10 days. Between this and Gabapentin i have seen a remarkable difference. Peggy now jumps into the hay tray and no longer drags her back legs at all.

One quick question for @furryfriends (TEAS), Mavis also has mild arthritis and i would like to give her this too but she is on Cystease for Sterile IC and i know this also contains Glucosamine. Can i give 4joints as well as Cystease or would this risk an overdose of Glucosamine?

In answer to your question, I really don’t know! Sorry I can’t help xx

@YvonneBlue did you find out if 4joints and Cystease would give an over dose of glucosamine? I now have a similar problem to yours with Brillo.

@YvonneBlue did you find out if 4joints and Cystease would give an over dose of glucosamine? I now have a similar problem to yours with Brillo.
I have continued to give Mavis both 4Joints (0.4ml once a day) and Cystease (1 capsule in 3ml of water / 1ml of this twice a day). This keeps her comfortable alongside a low dose of Metacam. There have been no issues with this dosage but i haven't been able to find out if it is too much Glucosamine.

I have continued to give Mavis both 4Joints (0.4ml once a day) and Cystease (1 capsule in 3ml of water / 1ml of this twice a day). This keeps her comfortable alongside a low dose of Metacam. There have been no issues with this dosage but i haven't been able to find out if it is too much Glucosamine.
Would your vet be able to help? Anything that makes their life pain free in my opinion is worth a try x

Back