Advice on friend's pig

Robyn847

New Born Pup
Reaction score
New here, I'm hoping someone can advise me.

Friend has gone on holiday and I'm going in to feed her guinea pigs. They only went last night. I've gone in this afternoon to top up hay, replenish food and water, de-poo cage etc. And one of them, the shy one, has obviously died. Its just not moving when I pick it up.....I know NOTHING about guinea pigs but I'm assuming this would usually wake it? It felt cold-ish,I don't think it has been dead long.

The ONLY thing I know is guinea pigs really need to be in pairs because they're social. So regardless of when/how I tell my friend......do I need to do anything for the other one? It seems fine. Mooching round and sqeaking and exploring. Seems a bit confused about the dead one so I'll have to remove shy boy from the cage shortly. 😢 I'm useless with organising myself at times like this. I'm upset for my friend. Her little one is going to be really upset. And I'm just dithering over what to do.

I’m so sorry this has happened, must be a shock.

As long as the other piggy is otherwise behaving ok and eating hay well (weight checks of the piggy need to be carried out to ensure he is eating hay) then they are usually ok alone for a couple of weeks to grieve before finding a new friend for him.

Is he indoors or outside?
Make sure you check on him twice a day and ensure he is eating and active, potentially you will need to spend longer there at each check than you may have planned to ensure he has a bit of attention.

The guide below explains how to look after a bereaved piggy - Looking After a Bereaved Guinea Pig

Oh no that’s awful for you , the shy pig and remaining pig.
If the shy pig didn’t move when you picked it up then it has passed away. Guinea pigs generally don’t like being picked up and would move.
How long are they away ? I think the other pig will cope for a while on its own. You will need to be vigilant, make sure the other pig is eating etc. if it shows signs of illness then off to the vet.
You will need to contact your friend.
The advice from @Piggies&buns is just right.

Unfortunately sometimes such fragile animals can pass away quickly leaving their owners and families unsure on how to feel, please be aware it is highly unlikely it had anything to do with you, incase you are worried about that.

Please remove the body, as it seems his friend will have said his goodbyes by now.
He should be fine on his own, at least until your friend gets back, and is able to take the steps to get him a new friend. You can place the body in a blanket and put it somewhere safe, but if your friend was wanting to see it or bury it be aware it will likely smell. You may want to ask her how she wants to dispose of it but as she has a kid they may want to a burial.
You may find disposing of the body properly and then putting a similar weighted item into a shoe box, preferably eco friendly if it is being buried, and then allowing the family to do a proper goodbye is a good compromise for a family with a child.

You or your friend may find this link helpful, the left over pig my need some extra snuggles, so although you are just there for feeding if possible some extra attention couldn't hurt. Until they get back keep an eye on him and make sure the leftover friend is continuing to eat.
Human Bereavement: Grieving, Processing and Support Links for Guinea Pig Owners and Their Children

Thanks all.

Sorry to be grim, but I'm going to pop him in my freezer. Double bagged. They're only away till Tuesday so it's not too long. It's at least "keeping options open". That way little one can say goodbye because I know they'll definitely want a funeral.

Little one was telling me before they went away that Remaing One always runs away when you try to pick him up, so I don't think it'll be up for cuddles. We'll see. I'll definitely sit in there for longer, and chat to him through the bars though.

Useful tip on weighing Remaining one. He was chomping on his spinach like nobody's business so he's eating ok, but still good to check.

Thank you all. I'll update you. Xx

I’m so sorry for you, your friend and her child. Last August my Percy passed away while I was on holiday. He was ill so it wasn’t a total shock. But the vets popped him in the freezer until I came home and was able to arrange his burial in my garden. I’m sorry you are having to deal with this.

I’m so sorry for you, it’s a big responsibility looking after someone’s treasured pets and I have been through this experience many years ago. I thimk freezing his little body until they get back is a lovely idea, then they get to say their goodbyes

Sorry for your, your friend and their little ones loss. Sleep tight Shy One x

Today's update.

Remaining piggy is doing reasonably ok.

To answer a question.... They're indoors. Its a big cage, pride of place in the living room.

When I opened the big cage door he put his paws on the edge and stuck his head out to get nearer to my hands. He even let me stroke him and give him a good scratch which he's NEVER done before with my friend or her child. He was obviously needing the attention.

He is eating like a horse. Didn't stop chomping the whole time I was there. Literally none stop. Hay. Food. Spinach. Apple. Peppers. Just didn't stop! No risk of him losing weight!

He's just looking very sorry for himself. His ears are noticeably drooped backwards, you can hardly see them....not sure if that's normal, but he just looked so sad. ☹️ He didn't squeak or chirrup once while I was there.

There are two pod things in the cage, one of which has a pot of food in. I think they slept together in the other pod, they was where I found shy one curled up yesterday. Today when I went Remaining one was asleep in the other pod with the food bowl. There was quite a lot of poo in the original sleep pod so I know he's been in there too. He did seem to be looking round through the tunnels and hideaway things for his buddy, but that might be me reading too much into it.

Spoken to lots of mutual friends today and they've all said I'm doing the right thing in not telling my friend yet. Plan is I'm going to tell her the night before they return so she has chance to find an nice opportunity to explain to little one about it before they get back and walk in the house. I've read the info on bereavement for piggies (thank you!) and so I'll also offer to go and buy a buddy for remaining one, meaning they can at least come home to 2 piggies. Its very soon though, and I'm expecting she'll say it's not necessary.

Thank you all. I'll keep you in the loop. xx

Behaviour, Bonding and Bereavement
Please don’t get another pig yet.
It’s a very complicated issue.
There is a process that has to be followed as the above link explains.
Maybe there is a Rescue nearby that could arrange a meet with a suitable pig ?
You have been doing exactly the right thing.

I would agree - don’t go and buy a new piggy. It’s not as simple as that. Two piggies need character compatibility to be able to bond and there is a proper neutral territory bonding process which needs to be followed.

As lovely as the thought behind it is, if you just go out and buy another piggy you have no way of knowing if you might actually be causing problems. A failed bonding means the two piggies could never live together. It would be better to leave your friend to speak to a rescue centre and sort out dating so the piggy can choose his own new friend and guarantee a successful bond.

I know it’s not your piggy, but do make sure there isn’t a lot is spinach and apple being fed to him. Spinach is too high in calcium and they should only have a very small amount once a week only. Apple is a very occasional treat in tiny amounts - it’s too high in sugar.

I can only reiterate not going to buy another pig. Not because of potential bonding problems but because these are not your pets and it is not your call to make. As your friend isn't away for long just keep a close eye on the remaining one until your friend is home, able to grieve and make their own decision on what to do next. Not all solo pigs will go into acute mourning, I had one that ended on her own for maybe two months because I struggled to find a cage mate for her anywhere, she wasn't great as she was clearly lonely however in terms of health and eating she remained absolutely fine during that time (just became noisier with us as she clearly needed some company).

Please rest assured that, with this happening the first night, there was nothing you did wrong and nothing your friend did either. Sometimes these things just come out of nowhere and, being prey animals, piggies are very good at hiding potential illnesses too

Please don’t buy another guinea pig as they need to choose a friend. They don’t automatically go together and fights can occur. ideally if you can go to a rescue and be bonded with another, he gets to choose his new friend. Far less stressful and you won’t end up with a Guinea pig in two separate cages due to fall outs

Your friends can explain he is bereaved and they will other help

Oh goodness no, I'd have only ever bought another one after speaking to her! I mustn't have explained myself properly, or misunderstood the advice. One of the links above said about introductions and making sure it would work as a pairing, but that if it's serious SEVERE bereavement and the remaining isn't eating and just giving up then buying another one so quickly was almost a list ditch attempt to immediately help the pining one. I've obviously interpreted wrong while I was busy flapping!

As it is he's ok, still quiet but making a few noises as least. I phoned her last night to break the news, also so she could prepare her little boy for when they got home today. She cried and was just very apologetic that I'd had to deal with it, which of course wasn't an issue. We're more trying to think of suitable burial spot as our houses are very old so paved front gardens and concrete back gardens.

Thank you for your advice everyone. Genuinely much appreciated.

Ohhh. She's literally just text me to say they've arrived back from holiday and been straight out and bought 2 new ones from Pets at Home to go with Remaining one. 🤦🏻‍♀️ Everyone cross your fingers! 🙈

This is really not a good idea, assuming they are two more boys, trios hardly ever work with boars and they will end up with fighting and having to separate the pigs.

I understand they are not your pigs, but please ask her to double check the sexes of them to make sure, as you do not want any accidental pregnancies.
Illustrated Sexing Guide

Please think about showing her this thread, or even sending her a link to the guide i am about to attach and let her know someone asked her to look at it and that they are warning her about the dangers and risks of 3 boars.
Adding More Guinea Pigs Or Merging Pairs – What Works And What Not?

You may even want to invite her to check out the forum, it’s full of people looking to help and support anyone who needs it.

You handled the whole thing really well.
Fingers crossed your friend knows what she is doing and all of the piggies are female (and this has been double checked) and she understands the importance of bonding properly in a neutral area.

Such a difficult thing for you to have dealt with.

I do agree though that bonding two new boars with a single boar will be a disaster and will not work.
Boars can only be kept in pairs so now your friend has got two new piggies they should be kept as a pair in one hutch and the bereaved piggy still needs to be by himself.
Trying to keep a boar trio will usually ends with fights. They may be ok initially if the two new ones as young but by the time they hit their teens at 16 weeks of age they are likely to fall out very quickly and will potentially all need separating (so it could potentially mean three separate cages all side by side).

Their hutch is also not going to be big enough for three boars as there simply is no commercial hutch big enough. A boar trio would require a 3 metre by 1 metre hutch and that still sadly will not mean they can get on.

Goodness me, what a situation to have to deal with.
You have dealt with it very well.
Holding you, and your friend, in my thoughts

Back