Advice on bereaved piggy

Stripeyrache

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hoping for some advice. Our piggy Lucille died suddenly on Friday evening leaving behind her sister Delilah.

We were due to be away for the weekend, and my mum kindly looked after Delilah for us at hers so she had someone nearby 24/7. This meant putting her in a temporary cage setup - a Ferplast 120 vs her normal 4x2 C&C. She’s back home with us now and I’ve kept her in the Ferplast as it means she can be in the living room where there is normally at least one family member, whereas her C&C is in the study which we aren’t in so often. Is this a sensible approach? The C&C won’t fit downstairs at all. I don’t want to overwhelm her, but also very aware she might be lonely or just missing the presence of another pig (they were never a cuddly pair, but just seemed to happily co-exist) She seems a bit quieter than normal, but is pottering round the cage a little and eating her hay and veggies. She’s getting lots of cuddles and has some new toys in the cage.

We’re on holiday for a week from this weekend, so she’ll be boarding whilst we’re away. Once we’re back we’ll think more seriously about a new buddy for her. Just want to make sure we’re doing right by her in the meantime! Is there more we could do?

I’m so sorry for your loss.

As long as she is eating ok and not too sad it will be ok to leave it a couple of weeks before getting her a new friend.

Thank you. Glad I’m on the right track.
Going to keep an eye on her water bottle today as I’m not convinced she’s drinking much. Weighed her this morning too and all very normal on that front!

Yes obviously do keep an eye but generally If she is eating enough then she will be drinking enough for her needs. The need to drink comes before the need to eat but the amount they drink varies widely from piggy to piggy

Just wanted to say a quick thank you for the kind words and reassurance. A little update. Delilah has been ok, but definitely quieter than normal and hiding much more. We had holiday booked and our boarder (who knows her well) also said she was a bit withdrawn, and only really coming out when she could hear the other boarding pigs getting noisy at dinner time.
I put some feelers out with a few rescues and one came back pretty quick with a female sow who is a really similar age. Delilah went for a little overnight stay over the weekend and yesterday we brought her and Fran home 😍
Early days of course as they continue to suss each other out. We’re hearing some rumbles but they’re following each other around and both eating really well. So far so good, fingers crossed they can build a nice bond!

Attachments

• IMG_6700.webp
    IMG_6700.webp
    51.6 KB · Views: 2
Hi and welcome

I am ever so sorry for your loss.

I agree, do you are doing the best under the circumstances. I would make the same decision in your situation and have occasionally prioritised company/constant stimulation over space when both together were not an option for a limited time.

Back