Advice needed

TheLittlePig

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I’m currently looking to add one or 2 more piggies, and I found a bonded pair at the shelter that are so sweet, the only thing is that they are a little older than my two girls, i thought I read that it’s better to introduce younger piggies? I’d much rather adopt the 2 girls then buy from the pet shop, has anyone ever introduced older piggies into a younger pair?

What ages are all the piggies?
Being different ages is fine - when merging two pairs it is helpful if one pair are young (not adult) as they are less likely to challenge the dominant piggy in the older pair.
It’s all going to come down to compatibility, whether the dominant piggy in each pair can come to an agreement about which one is going to step down.
All you can ever do is try and be prepared for them to have to live as two separate pairs.

Adding More Guinea Pigs Or Merging Pairs – What Works And What Not?

I have bonded 2 pairs of sows.
In the end it’s about whether or not they like each other.
With my 4 there was never any question about Merab being herd boss, or Phoebe being at the bottom.
The excitement was was between Jemimah and Priscilla who took 2 weeks of chasing, nipping and fur pulling before they decided to be best friends.

Miss piggy and fuzz are about 6 to 8 months maybe younger and the two that I’m possibly adopting are 1 year

My concern is Miss pig, she’s extremely dominant and I feel like if one of the older ones try to test her she will not back down, I’m waiting to hear back from the shelter and when I do I’m going to see if they do play dates so I can feel it out

Back