advice needed please after a fight

Stacey

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
2 of my 3 girls has had a fight today which is now the second time (the first time everything was ok afterwards). I have separated but who do I keep as a couple? The 3rd piggie gets on with both.

Help please

Ooh that is a tricky one. I'm assuming this was a proper fight with biting and ear pulling rather than just some nose bumping and assertiveness? And who fought who... because you will have a hierarchy of top pig (she should be obvs), middle pig and bottom pig so is it someone challenging for top place or are the two underpigs scrapping it out? How long were they living as a trio, how old are they and would your plan be to get a fourth to make 2 pairs or to have a pair and a bar-neighbour.

When I ended up with two pairs it was always Zara, bless her, who was intolerant of anyone but her friend Louise. And as Louise liked her too it made it an easy decision. George was eventually paired with new addition Flora. If I'd put feisty Zara alone to look for a new companion I'd still be looking now because she was a gladiator!

I'm not 100% certain but it was the top pig Cleo and the bottom pig Jasmine.

They have had a fight before and there was hair pulling and they were both rolling in a ball type of fight but they were fine right after it

The other day there was tension and Cleo lunged ever so slightly but i distracted it and it stopped but there was a bit of teeth chattering and then they both just lunged at one another.

Cleo is around 3 and Jasmine is 2/3. We have had them about 4-5 months. We got them from the sspca and they were all bonded when they arrived there.

I think Jasmine is on season as shes tried to mount Bella

Currently we removed Jasmine but her and a Bella get on ( I think they might be mum and daughter according to sspca) but Cleo and Bella also get on.

Currently Jasmine is in an old rabbit cage we had in storage.
The cage they were all in is 7x 2 so we are looking to divide that somehow.

Sorry to hear the two had a falling out. I don’t really know on pairings, you’d be best placed to figure that out. Just make sure that Jasmine is next to the other two so she can still have company through the grids.

Sorry to hear the two had a falling out. I don’t really know on pairings, you’d be best placed to figure that out. Just make sure that Jasmine is next to the other two so she can still have company through the grids.
Yeah she is beside the cage and we have already ordered new stuff to turn the c&c cage they have into 2 seperate

I just feel really awful that Jasmines and Bella have been seperated aswell and I just keep thinking have i made the right call with it.

I’m sorry to hear they’ve fallen out.
If they have had a proper fight even once, then yes, you’ve made the right call. It’s always very sad when things don’t work out, but they will be happier (and safer) to not have to live with a piggy they don’t get on with

Thank You, I'm really devasted for Jasmine. It didnt last long and they separated very quickly themselves but its been twice now so i think i have made the right decision.
I think once we get the cage adapted i will feel better but right now she is in an old rabbit cage so I feel she is very alone even tho its right next to the cage but I had to do something spur of the moment

I'm hoping its set up in the next week or so because we have ordered new fleeces and panels and a new loft etc so hoping they come really quick.

Back